Dec 3, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
At least that’s according to the Edmonton Journal, which quoted Dubnyk as saying, “Absolutely, I still do,” when reportedly asked if he thought he was still the Oilers’ main netminder.
The 27-year-old Dubnyk has recorded three wins in his last five games, and could see considerably more playing time in the coming days and weeks ahead, with Bryzgalov’s playing status right now unclear after he was hurt Sunday.
But there’s no denying that in the longer run, the addition of Bryzgalov may create something of a goalie controversy in Edmonton, even if Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins tried to quell any such notion.
“I like the battle but the end result for the battle, and it’s a friendly one, is that somebody takes it (the starting job),” Eakins said, as per the Edmonton Journal.
“As soon as I say that, I don’t want the other guy to let him take it. But I like battles at positions. You need that right through your lineup … you need it in Oklahoma City, where they’re getting ready to challenge guys here, you need guys farther down in our lineup pushing the top guys.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)