Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
On Monday, Edmonton’s actions spoke louder than its words.
Following a rather non-informative update on the health of Ilya Bryzgalov, the club recalled goalie Jason LaBarbera from AHL Oklahoma City, presumably to fill in for Bryzgalov while he deals with injuries sustained during a collision with Dallas’ Ryan Garbutt on Sunday.
“Bryzgalov took a hard hit,” head coach Dallas Eakins said, as per the Oilers website. “He’s being assessed as we speak to see where he’s at.
“If we need a goalie, we’ll call up a goalie.”
The veteran was the odd man out following the Bryzgalov acquisition and was placed on waivers before getting sent to the minors. Now, it appears LaBarbera will get at least a short-term opportunity to back up Devan Dubnyk — the Oilers begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against Phoenix, and will play five games over the next nine nights.
Though Bryzgalov has only made four appearances for Edmonton this year, he has been impressive. The Russian netminder has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage, along with one shutout.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)