Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
On Monday, Edmonton’s actions spoke louder than its words.
Following a rather non-informative update on the health of Ilya Bryzgalov, the club recalled goalie Jason LaBarbera from AHL Oklahoma City, presumably to fill in for Bryzgalov while he deals with injuries sustained during a collision with Dallas’ Ryan Garbutt on Sunday.
“Bryzgalov took a hard hit,” head coach Dallas Eakins said, as per the Oilers website. “He’s being assessed as we speak to see where he’s at.
“If we need a goalie, we’ll call up a goalie.”
The veteran was the odd man out following the Bryzgalov acquisition and was placed on waivers before getting sent to the minors. Now, it appears LaBarbera will get at least a short-term opportunity to back up Devan Dubnyk — the Oilers begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against Phoenix, and will play five games over the next nine nights.
Though Bryzgalov has only made four appearances for Edmonton this year, he has been impressive. The Russian netminder has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage, along with one shutout.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)