Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
On Monday, Edmonton’s actions spoke louder than its words.
Following a rather non-informative update on the health of Ilya Bryzgalov, the club recalled goalie Jason LaBarbera from AHL Oklahoma City, presumably to fill in for Bryzgalov while he deals with injuries sustained during a collision with Dallas’ Ryan Garbutt on Sunday.
“Bryzgalov took a hard hit,” head coach Dallas Eakins said, as per the Oilers website. “He’s being assessed as we speak to see where he’s at.
“If we need a goalie, we’ll call up a goalie.”
The veteran was the odd man out following the Bryzgalov acquisition and was placed on waivers before getting sent to the minors. Now, it appears LaBarbera will get at least a short-term opportunity to back up Devan Dubnyk — the Oilers begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against Phoenix, and will play five games over the next nine nights.
Though Bryzgalov has only made four appearances for Edmonton this year, he has been impressive. The Russian netminder has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage, along with one shutout.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)