Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
On Monday, Edmonton’s actions spoke louder than its words.
Following a rather non-informative update on the health of Ilya Bryzgalov, the club recalled goalie Jason LaBarbera from AHL Oklahoma City, presumably to fill in for Bryzgalov while he deals with injuries sustained during a collision with Dallas’ Ryan Garbutt on Sunday.
“Bryzgalov took a hard hit,” head coach Dallas Eakins said, as per the Oilers website. “He’s being assessed as we speak to see where he’s at.
“If we need a goalie, we’ll call up a goalie.”
The veteran was the odd man out following the Bryzgalov acquisition and was placed on waivers before getting sent to the minors. Now, it appears LaBarbera will get at least a short-term opportunity to back up Devan Dubnyk — the Oilers begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against Phoenix, and will play five games over the next nine nights.
Though Bryzgalov has only made four appearances for Edmonton this year, he has been impressive. The Russian netminder has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage, along with one shutout.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)