Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
On Monday, Edmonton’s actions spoke louder than its words.
Following a rather non-informative update on the health of Ilya Bryzgalov, the club recalled goalie Jason LaBarbera from AHL Oklahoma City, presumably to fill in for Bryzgalov while he deals with injuries sustained during a collision with Dallas’ Ryan Garbutt on Sunday.
“Bryzgalov took a hard hit,” head coach Dallas Eakins said, as per the Oilers website. “He’s being assessed as we speak to see where he’s at.
“If we need a goalie, we’ll call up a goalie.”
The veteran was the odd man out following the Bryzgalov acquisition and was placed on waivers before getting sent to the minors. Now, it appears LaBarbera will get at least a short-term opportunity to back up Devan Dubnyk — the Oilers begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against Phoenix, and will play five games over the next nine nights.
Though Bryzgalov has only made four appearances for Edmonton this year, he has been impressive. The Russian netminder has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage, along with one shutout.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)