Nov 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
It’s worth noting that Bryzgalov is to be paid $23 million from the Flyers over the next 14 years, which works out to $1.6 million per year. As such, he’ll stand to made a tidy sum this season.
The move will also bring Bryzgalov back to the Western Conference, where he enjoyed the finest seasons of his career. Bryzgalov’s best campaign came during 2009-10 in Phoenix, when he posted career-best totals in victories (42), games (69), shutouts (eight), goals-against average (2.29) and save percentage (.920). He also helped the Coyotes set franchise records for wins and points in a season.
In what looks to be a related move, the Oilers have also signed goalie Chet Pickard to a minor-league deal. That’s worth mentioning because Pickard’s agent is Ritch Winter, the same guy that represents Bryzgalov.
The timing of the move — which came shortly after Edmonton traded longtime defeseman Ladislav Smid to Calgary — couldn’t be better, as the Oilers will play in Philadelphia tomorrow.
As a member of the Flyers, Bryzgalov won 52 regular season games in 99 games played. He struggled mightily last season, posting a 19-17-3-1 record with a .900 save percentage and 2.79 GAA.
As for what lies ahead in Edmonton…well, here’s a classic Bryzgalov interview in 2006 reacting to Chris Pronger‘s return to the city:
The money quote?
“Here in November months is a minus-32. Could you imagine? It’s eight months in a year of snow.”
Ironically enough, Bryzgalov decided to join the Oilers on Nov. 8.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31