Nov 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
It’s worth noting that Bryzgalov is to be paid $23 million from the Flyers over the next 14 years, which works out to $1.6 million per year. As such, he’ll stand to made a tidy sum this season.
The move will also bring Bryzgalov back to the Western Conference, where he enjoyed the finest seasons of his career. Bryzgalov’s best campaign came during 2009-10 in Phoenix, when he posted career-best totals in victories (42), games (69), shutouts (eight), goals-against average (2.29) and save percentage (.920). He also helped the Coyotes set franchise records for wins and points in a season.
In what looks to be a related move, the Oilers have also signed goalie Chet Pickard to a minor-league deal. That’s worth mentioning because Pickard’s agent is Ritch Winter, the same guy that represents Bryzgalov.
The timing of the move — which came shortly after Edmonton traded longtime defeseman Ladislav Smid to Calgary — couldn’t be better, as the Oilers will play in Philadelphia tomorrow.
As a member of the Flyers, Bryzgalov won 52 regular season games in 99 games played. He struggled mightily last season, posting a 19-17-3-1 record with a .900 save percentage and 2.79 GAA.
As for what lies ahead in Edmonton…well, here’s a classic Bryzgalov interview in 2006 reacting to Chris Pronger‘s return to the city:
The money quote?
“Here in November months is a minus-32. Could you imagine? It’s eight months in a year of snow.”
Ironically enough, Bryzgalov decided to join the Oilers on Nov. 8.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)