Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
The news out of Nashville for Predators defenseman Roman Josi is about as expected as it can get.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports Josi did not skate at the team’s practice this morning and he’s officially out with a concussion. Ryan Ellis is believed to get the call to take his spot in the lineup.
Josi suffered the injury on Friday night in Denver courtesy of a monster hit from Avalanche forward Steve Downie. The hit was ruled to be legal by the NHL Player Safety Board and he went unpunished for the play. He was, however, assessed at two-minute minor for charging.
This turn of events, as Cooper noted in his story, could lead to seeing Seth Jones pair up with Shea Weber. Josi has been his defensive partner since last season after Ryan Suter signed with Minnesota. Jones and Weber did work together a little bit in training camp this year.
Replacing Josi won’t be easy as he’s good for 25 minutes played per game.
- Gaustad blasts Downie’s ‘dumb hit,’ hints at retribution
- Trotz: We’re trying to get hits like Downie’s out of the game
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 40
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 40
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)