Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
The news out of Nashville for Predators defenseman Roman Josi is about as expected as it can get.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports Josi did not skate at the team’s practice this morning and he’s officially out with a concussion. Ryan Ellis is believed to get the call to take his spot in the lineup.
Josi suffered the injury on Friday night in Denver courtesy of a monster hit from Avalanche forward Steve Downie. The hit was ruled to be legal by the NHL Player Safety Board and he went unpunished for the play. He was, however, assessed at two-minute minor for charging.
This turn of events, as Cooper noted in his story, could lead to seeing Seth Jones pair up with Shea Weber. Josi has been his defensive partner since last season after Ryan Suter signed with Minnesota. Jones and Weber did work together a little bit in training camp this year.
Replacing Josi won’t be easy as he’s good for 25 minutes played per game.
- Gaustad blasts Downie’s ‘dumb hit,’ hints at retribution
- Trotz: We’re trying to get hits like Downie’s out of the game
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (144)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)