Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
The news out of Nashville for Predators defenseman Roman Josi is about as expected as it can get.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports Josi did not skate at the team’s practice this morning and he’s officially out with a concussion. Ryan Ellis is believed to get the call to take his spot in the lineup.
Josi suffered the injury on Friday night in Denver courtesy of a monster hit from Avalanche forward Steve Downie. The hit was ruled to be legal by the NHL Player Safety Board and he went unpunished for the play. He was, however, assessed at two-minute minor for charging.
This turn of events, as Cooper noted in his story, could lead to seeing Seth Jones pair up with Shea Weber. Josi has been his defensive partner since last season after Ryan Suter signed with Minnesota. Jones and Weber did work together a little bit in training camp this year.
Replacing Josi won’t be easy as he’s good for 25 minutes played per game.
- Gaustad blasts Downie’s ‘dumb hit,’ hints at retribution
- Trotz: We’re trying to get hits like Downie’s out of the game
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)