Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
The news out of Nashville for Predators defenseman Roman Josi is about as expected as it can get.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports Josi did not skate at the team’s practice this morning and he’s officially out with a concussion. Ryan Ellis is believed to get the call to take his spot in the lineup.
Josi suffered the injury on Friday night in Denver courtesy of a monster hit from Avalanche forward Steve Downie. The hit was ruled to be legal by the NHL Player Safety Board and he went unpunished for the play. He was, however, assessed at two-minute minor for charging.
This turn of events, as Cooper noted in his story, could lead to seeing Seth Jones pair up with Shea Weber. Josi has been his defensive partner since last season after Ryan Suter signed with Minnesota. Jones and Weber did work together a little bit in training camp this year.
Replacing Josi won’t be easy as he’s good for 25 minutes played per game.
- Gaustad blasts Downie’s ‘dumb hit,’ hints at retribution
- Trotz: We’re trying to get hits like Downie’s out of the game
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 3
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46