Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
The news out of Nashville for Predators defenseman Roman Josi is about as expected as it can get.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports Josi did not skate at the team’s practice this morning and he’s officially out with a concussion. Ryan Ellis is believed to get the call to take his spot in the lineup.
Josi suffered the injury on Friday night in Denver courtesy of a monster hit from Avalanche forward Steve Downie. The hit was ruled to be legal by the NHL Player Safety Board and he went unpunished for the play. He was, however, assessed at two-minute minor for charging.
This turn of events, as Cooper noted in his story, could lead to seeing Seth Jones pair up with Shea Weber. Josi has been his defensive partner since last season after Ryan Suter signed with Minnesota. Jones and Weber did work together a little bit in training camp this year.
Replacing Josi won’t be easy as he’s good for 25 minutes played per game.
- Gaustad blasts Downie’s ‘dumb hit,’ hints at retribution
- Trotz: We’re trying to get hits like Downie’s out of the game
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 3
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 31
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)