Sep 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
“In your long-term vision you’d like to see that, both of them at some point playing together,” head coach Barry Trotz told The Tennessean. “You’re going to see that in the preseason, and some of the scrimmages.
“I’ll do that on purpose to let them rub shoulders a little bit.”
Both Weber and Jones are right-handed defensemen, but Trotz revealed during rookie camp that Jones had been working on the left side over the summer.
It’ll be interesting to see how long the experiment lasts.
Weber clicked with Roman Josi on the club’s top defensive pairing last season, and Josi is a natural lefty. That said, having Jones get on-ice tutorials from one of the game’s top all-round blueliners could be enough to push Josi onto his own pairing, perhaps with Kevin Klein (who is a righty).
However it shakes out, Jones says he’s excited for the opportunity.
“Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of watching [Weber],” he explained. “He’s a fantastic player and done a lot of great things here.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 2
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (66)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)