Sep 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
“In your long-term vision you’d like to see that, both of them at some point playing together,” head coach Barry Trotz told The Tennessean. “You’re going to see that in the preseason, and some of the scrimmages.
“I’ll do that on purpose to let them rub shoulders a little bit.”
Both Weber and Jones are right-handed defensemen, but Trotz revealed during rookie camp that Jones had been working on the left side over the summer.
It’ll be interesting to see how long the experiment lasts.
Weber clicked with Roman Josi on the club’s top defensive pairing last season, and Josi is a natural lefty. That said, having Jones get on-ice tutorials from one of the game’s top all-round blueliners could be enough to push Josi onto his own pairing, perhaps with Kevin Klein (who is a righty).
However it shakes out, Jones says he’s excited for the opportunity.
“Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of watching [Weber],” he explained. “He’s a fantastic player and done a lot of great things here.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)