Sep 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
“In your long-term vision you’d like to see that, both of them at some point playing together,” head coach Barry Trotz told The Tennessean. “You’re going to see that in the preseason, and some of the scrimmages.
“I’ll do that on purpose to let them rub shoulders a little bit.”
Both Weber and Jones are right-handed defensemen, but Trotz revealed during rookie camp that Jones had been working on the left side over the summer.
It’ll be interesting to see how long the experiment lasts.
Weber clicked with Roman Josi on the club’s top defensive pairing last season, and Josi is a natural lefty. That said, having Jones get on-ice tutorials from one of the game’s top all-round blueliners could be enough to push Josi onto his own pairing, perhaps with Kevin Klein (who is a righty).
However it shakes out, Jones says he’s excited for the opportunity.
“Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of watching [Weber],” he explained. “He’s a fantastic player and done a lot of great things here.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)