Sep 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
“In your long-term vision you’d like to see that, both of them at some point playing together,” head coach Barry Trotz told The Tennessean. “You’re going to see that in the preseason, and some of the scrimmages.
“I’ll do that on purpose to let them rub shoulders a little bit.”
Both Weber and Jones are right-handed defensemen, but Trotz revealed during rookie camp that Jones had been working on the left side over the summer.
It’ll be interesting to see how long the experiment lasts.
Weber clicked with Roman Josi on the club’s top defensive pairing last season, and Josi is a natural lefty. That said, having Jones get on-ice tutorials from one of the game’s top all-round blueliners could be enough to push Josi onto his own pairing, perhaps with Kevin Klein (who is a righty).
However it shakes out, Jones says he’s excited for the opportunity.
“Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of watching [Weber],” he explained. “He’s a fantastic player and done a lot of great things here.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)