Aug 18, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
Eric Staal is going to be watched closely this season in Carolina, but the team believes he’ll be ready for training camp.
Chip Alexander of the News & Observer hears from GM Jim Rutherford and coach Kirk Muller that Staal’s progress after being injured at World Championships is going well and he’ll be ready to go when camp opens next month.
In case you forgot, Staal suffered a nasty knee injury courtesy of Sweden’s Alex Edler while playing for Team Canada. The hit was bad enough that the IIHF suspended Edler long enough to keep him out of the remainder of Worlds and he’ll miss the first two games of the Olympics in Sochi should he make the Swedish team (he will).
For what it’s worth, Staal has said before he’ll be ready for training camp.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 1
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 8
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9