May 16, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Ugly scene late in the first period of the Canada-Sweden quarterfinal at the World Hockey Championships — Sweden/Canucks defenseman Alex Edler went knee-on-knee with Canada/Hurricanes captain Eric Staal:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Edler was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct for the hit.
As shown on the video, Staal was visibly in pain and had to be helped off the ice.
Some reactions, via Twitter:
Full-length replay of hit Staal took is agonizing. Also brutal to watch Edler skate in a direct line from the blue line to Staal’s knee.
Just watched replay of Staal injury. Gut-wrenching. Not a doctor but did not look good.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) May 16, 2013
Hope it’s not a serious injury, never want to see that. But way Staal reacted was worrisome.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 16, 2013
Always worry when a guy as tough as Staal shows that much pain.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) May 16, 2013
Unsurprisingly, Staal did not return to the game for the second period.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that Staal has been taken for an MRI.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)