May 16, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ugly scene late in the first period of the Canada-Sweden quarterfinal at the World Hockey Championships — Sweden/Canucks defenseman Alex Edler went knee-on-knee with Canada/Hurricanes captain Eric Staal:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Edler was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct for the hit.
As shown on the video, Staal was visibly in pain and had to be helped off the ice.
Some reactions, via Twitter:
Full-length replay of hit Staal took is agonizing. Also brutal to watch Edler skate in a direct line from the blue line to Staal’s knee.
Just watched replay of Staal injury. Gut-wrenching. Not a doctor but did not look good.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) May 16, 2013
Hope it’s not a serious injury, never want to see that. But way Staal reacted was worrisome.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 16, 2013
Always worry when a guy as tough as Staal shows that much pain.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) May 16, 2013
Unsurprisingly, Staal did not return to the game for the second period.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that Staal has been taken for an MRI.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)