May 16, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ugly scene late in the first period of the Canada-Sweden quarterfinal at the World Hockey Championships — Sweden/Canucks defenseman Alex Edler went knee-on-knee with Canada/Hurricanes captain Eric Staal:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Edler was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct for the hit.
As shown on the video, Staal was visibly in pain and had to be helped off the ice.
Some reactions, via Twitter:
Full-length replay of hit Staal took is agonizing. Also brutal to watch Edler skate in a direct line from the blue line to Staal’s knee.
Just watched replay of Staal injury. Gut-wrenching. Not a doctor but did not look good.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) May 16, 2013
Hope it’s not a serious injury, never want to see that. But way Staal reacted was worrisome.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 16, 2013
Always worry when a guy as tough as Staal shows that much pain.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) May 16, 2013
Unsurprisingly, Staal did not return to the game for the second period.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that Staal has been taken for an MRI.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)