May 16, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ugly scene late in the first period of the Canada-Sweden quarterfinal at the World Hockey Championships — Sweden/Canucks defenseman Alex Edler went knee-on-knee with Canada/Hurricanes captain Eric Staal:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Edler was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct for the hit.
As shown on the video, Staal was visibly in pain and had to be helped off the ice.
Some reactions, via Twitter:
Full-length replay of hit Staal took is agonizing. Also brutal to watch Edler skate in a direct line from the blue line to Staal’s knee.
Just watched replay of Staal injury. Gut-wrenching. Not a doctor but did not look good.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) May 16, 2013
Hope it’s not a serious injury, never want to see that. But way Staal reacted was worrisome.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 16, 2013
Always worry when a guy as tough as Staal shows that much pain.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) May 16, 2013
Unsurprisingly, Staal did not return to the game for the second period.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that Staal has been taken for an MRI.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25