May 16, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ugly scene late in the first period of the Canada-Sweden quarterfinal at the World Hockey Championships — Sweden/Canucks defenseman Alex Edler went knee-on-knee with Canada/Hurricanes captain Eric Staal:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Edler was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct for the hit.
As shown on the video, Staal was visibly in pain and had to be helped off the ice.
Some reactions, via Twitter:
Full-length replay of hit Staal took is agonizing. Also brutal to watch Edler skate in a direct line from the blue line to Staal’s knee.
Just watched replay of Staal injury. Gut-wrenching. Not a doctor but did not look good.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) May 16, 2013
Hope it’s not a serious injury, never want to see that. But way Staal reacted was worrisome.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 16, 2013
Always worry when a guy as tough as Staal shows that much pain.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) May 16, 2013
Unsurprisingly, Staal did not return to the game for the second period.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that Staal has been taken for an MRI.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 45
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5