Jul 29, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
It sounds as if Team Sweden will be minus one of its top defensemen for the first two games of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
It’s unlikely the suspension will have a significant effect on Sweden’s chances at the Olympics. Minus Edler, the country remains deep on defense with the likes of Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. The Swedes are also in a relatively easy group, with the Czech Republic, Latvia and Switzerland.
There’s some speculation the Swedes will opt to leave Edler off the roster entirely, but that seems unlikely to us.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 21
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 34
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51