Jul 29, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
It sounds as if Team Sweden will be minus one of its top defensemen for the first two games of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
It’s unlikely the suspension will have a significant effect on Sweden’s chances at the Olympics. Minus Edler, the country remains deep on defense with the likes of Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. The Swedes are also in a relatively easy group, with the Czech Republic, Latvia and Switzerland.
There’s some speculation the Swedes will opt to leave Edler off the roster entirely, but that seems unlikely to us.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 3
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9