Jul 29, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
It sounds as if Team Sweden will be minus one of its top defensemen for the first two games of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
It’s unlikely the suspension will have a significant effect on Sweden’s chances at the Olympics. Minus Edler, the country remains deep on defense with the likes of Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. The Swedes are also in a relatively easy group, with the Czech Republic, Latvia and Switzerland.
There’s some speculation the Swedes will opt to leave Edler off the roster entirely, but that seems unlikely to us.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35