Jun 4, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Eric Staal says the knee injury suffered while playing for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships was the most serious of his career, but won’t prevent him from participating in training camp.
That’s what the Carolina captain explained on Tuesday at the ‘Canes new jersey unveiling, explaining that while the process of recovery from a sprained MCL is slow, he will be ready to go this fall.
“[Rehab’s] a slower process than I thought and hoped,” Staal explained, before adding there was “no question” he’d be ready for September’s training camp.
Staal was hurt during Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Sweden on hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal, 28, said Carolina’s medical staff will begin testing the knee in August — noting that they’re “not going to rush it,” — which should give him roughly a month before the ‘Canes break camp.
Carolina hasn’t yet announced when or where it’ll hold training camp, but NHL teams generally conduct them in mid-September.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)