Jun 4, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
Eric Staal says the knee injury suffered while playing for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships was the most serious of his career, but won’t prevent him from participating in training camp.
That’s what the Carolina captain explained on Tuesday at the ‘Canes new jersey unveiling, explaining that while the process of recovery from a sprained MCL is slow, he will be ready to go this fall.
“[Rehab’s] a slower process than I thought and hoped,” Staal explained, before adding there was “no question” he’d be ready for September’s training camp.
Staal was hurt during Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Sweden on hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal, 28, said Carolina’s medical staff will begin testing the knee in August — noting that they’re “not going to rush it,” — which should give him roughly a month before the ‘Canes break camp.
Carolina hasn’t yet announced when or where it’ll hold training camp, but NHL teams generally conduct them in mid-September.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)