Jun 4, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
Eric Staal says the knee injury suffered while playing for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships was the most serious of his career, but won’t prevent him from participating in training camp.
That’s what the Carolina captain explained on Tuesday at the ‘Canes new jersey unveiling, explaining that while the process of recovery from a sprained MCL is slow, he will be ready to go this fall.
“[Rehab's] a slower process than I thought and hoped,” Staal explained, before adding there was “no question” he’d be ready for September’s training camp.
Staal was hurt during Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Sweden on hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal, 28, said Carolina’s medical staff will begin testing the knee in August — noting that they’re “not going to rush it,” — which should give him roughly a month before the ‘Canes break camp.
Carolina hasn’t yet announced when or where it’ll hold training camp, but NHL teams generally conduct them in mid-September.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)