Jun 4, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Eric Staal says the knee injury suffered while playing for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships was the most serious of his career, but won’t prevent him from participating in training camp.
That’s what the Carolina captain explained on Tuesday at the ‘Canes new jersey unveiling, explaining that while the process of recovery from a sprained MCL is slow, he will be ready to go this fall.
“[Rehab's] a slower process than I thought and hoped,” Staal explained, before adding there was “no question” he’d be ready for September’s training camp.
Staal was hurt during Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Sweden on hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal, 28, said Carolina’s medical staff will begin testing the knee in August — noting that they’re “not going to rush it,” — which should give him roughly a month before the ‘Canes break camp.
Carolina hasn’t yet announced when or where it’ll hold training camp, but NHL teams generally conduct them in mid-September.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 4
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 29
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)