Jun 4, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Eric Staal says the knee injury suffered while playing for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships was the most serious of his career, but won’t prevent him from participating in training camp.
That’s what the Carolina captain explained on Tuesday at the ‘Canes new jersey unveiling, explaining that while the process of recovery from a sprained MCL is slow, he will be ready to go this fall.
“[Rehab's] a slower process than I thought and hoped,” Staal explained, before adding there was “no question” he’d be ready for September’s training camp.
Staal was hurt during Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Sweden on hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal, 28, said Carolina’s medical staff will begin testing the knee in August — noting that they’re “not going to rush it,” — which should give him roughly a month before the ‘Canes break camp.
Carolina hasn’t yet announced when or where it’ll hold training camp, but NHL teams generally conduct them in mid-September.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)