Jun 24, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Still, for the 24-year-old to be the team’s goalie of the future (or one of the team’s goalies of the future), the Maple Leafs need to actually sign the soon-to-be restricted free agent to a contract. The Buds got the ball rolling in that regard on Monday by extending him a qualifying offer, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Shannon indicated that the two sides are working out a long-term offer, so it’s clear that GM Dave Nonis & Co. are Bernier believers.
How do you pay a much-hyped guy with 62 regular season games of experience spread out over five seasons? We’ll find out soon enough.
(Assuming some other team doesn’t swoop in with a huge offer sheet to make things even more fascinating, of course.)
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)