Jun 24, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Still, for the 24-year-old to be the team’s goalie of the future (or one of the team’s goalies of the future), the Maple Leafs need to actually sign the soon-to-be restricted free agent to a contract. The Buds got the ball rolling in that regard on Monday by extending him a qualifying offer, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Shannon indicated that the two sides are working out a long-term offer, so it’s clear that GM Dave Nonis & Co. are Bernier believers.
How do you pay a much-hyped guy with 62 regular season games of experience spread out over five seasons? We’ll find out soon enough.
(Assuming some other team doesn’t swoop in with a huge offer sheet to make things even more fascinating, of course.)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)