Jun 24, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
Still, for the 24-year-old to be the team’s goalie of the future (or one of the team’s goalies of the future), the Maple Leafs need to actually sign the soon-to-be restricted free agent to a contract. The Buds got the ball rolling in that regard on Monday by extending him a qualifying offer, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Shannon indicated that the two sides are working out a long-term offer, so it’s clear that GM Dave Nonis & Co. are Bernier believers.
How do you pay a much-hyped guy with 62 regular season games of experience spread out over five seasons? We’ll find out soon enough.
(Assuming some other team doesn’t swoop in with a huge offer sheet to make things even more fascinating, of course.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)