Jun 23, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a big trade on Sunday, confirming long-standing rumors that they were interested in nabbing much-touted backup Jonathan Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings. But what does this mean for the team and (former?) No. 1 goalie James Reimer?
GM Dave Nonis made it pretty clear during today’s press conference that he expects a healthy competition for the starts in Toronto.
“We feel – and most teams think – that goaltending is the most important position in the game,” Nonis said. “This is clearly not a knock on James. James has done a very good job. He’s improved every year and we’re expecting that to continue next season.
“I don’t think you can be deep enough at that position. We got younger and deeper today and we feel our team is stronger because of it.”
Nonis said he wasn’t able to reach Reimer following the announcement, but the message was simple: “Nothing’s being guaranteed to anybody.” (Even with Bernier’s “pedigree of success.”)
He believes that the team now has two of the top young goaltenders in the league in Bernier, 24, and Reimer, 25. While it remains to be seen, the Buds executive doesn’t expect any personality conflicts.
Even after landing Bernier, it’s clear that Toronto’s work isn’t done. Nonis admitted that he expects to make a couple moves before free agency kicks off on July 5, justifying today’s early rumblings about Dion Phaneuf.
Oh, and he also needs to sign a certain restricted free agent named Jonathan Bernier …
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 5
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 6
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 29
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 39
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)