Jun 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes are over and the Toronto Maple Leafs have come out on top.
Bernier has been seeking to be traded out of L.A. since the end of their Stanley Cup run last summer and reiterated that hope again this year. Now he heads to Toronto where he’ll compete with James Reimer for the No. 1 job and potentially a world of debate over who the top guy should be.
Bernier had a strong bounceback season this year going 9-3-1 with a 1.88 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
For the Kings, picking up Frattin helps them out depth-wise at forward and gives them a fast-skating player with a knack for the net. In 25 games this season, he had seven goals and eight assists for the Leafs.
Scrivens, meanwhile, slots in right now as the backup for Jonathan Quick and after the year he had this season, it’s an ideal role for him. While Quick will get the vast majority of starts, Scrivens showed he can fill in well going 7-9-0 with a 2.65 GAA and a .915 SV%.
More importantly for the Kings? Frattin ($925K) and Scrivens ($612.5K) come cheaply with a combined cap hit of just over $1.5 million. Bernier is a restricted free agent this summer and set to likely make a bit more than that.
Update (2:22 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger adds the Leafs also sent $500,000 to the Kings in the deal. Dean Lombardi is a wizard.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)