Jun 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes are over and the Toronto Maple Leafs have come out on top.
Bernier has been seeking to be traded out of L.A. since the end of their Stanley Cup run last summer and reiterated that hope again this year. Now he heads to Toronto where he’ll compete with James Reimer for the No. 1 job and potentially a world of debate over who the top guy should be.
Bernier had a strong bounceback season this year going 9-3-1 with a 1.88 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
For the Kings, picking up Frattin helps them out depth-wise at forward and gives them a fast-skating player with a knack for the net. In 25 games this season, he had seven goals and eight assists for the Leafs.
Scrivens, meanwhile, slots in right now as the backup for Jonathan Quick and after the year he had this season, it’s an ideal role for him. While Quick will get the vast majority of starts, Scrivens showed he can fill in well going 7-9-0 with a 2.65 GAA and a .915 SV%.
More importantly for the Kings? Frattin ($925K) and Scrivens ($612.5K) come cheaply with a combined cap hit of just over $1.5 million. Bernier is a restricted free agent this summer and set to likely make a bit more than that.
Update (2:22 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger adds the Leafs also sent $500,000 to the Kings in the deal. Dean Lombardi is a wizard.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)