Jun 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
The Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes are over and the Toronto Maple Leafs have come out on top.
Bernier has been seeking to be traded out of L.A. since the end of their Stanley Cup run last summer and reiterated that hope again this year. Now he heads to Toronto where he’ll compete with James Reimer for the No. 1 job and potentially a world of debate over who the top guy should be.
Bernier had a strong bounceback season this year going 9-3-1 with a 1.88 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
For the Kings, picking up Frattin helps them out depth-wise at forward and gives them a fast-skating player with a knack for the net. In 25 games this season, he had seven goals and eight assists for the Leafs.
Scrivens, meanwhile, slots in right now as the backup for Jonathan Quick and after the year he had this season, it’s an ideal role for him. While Quick will get the vast majority of starts, Scrivens showed he can fill in well going 7-9-0 with a 2.65 GAA and a .915 SV%.
More importantly for the Kings? Frattin ($925K) and Scrivens ($612.5K) come cheaply with a combined cap hit of just over $1.5 million. Bernier is a restricted free agent this summer and set to likely make a bit more than that.
Update (2:22 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger adds the Leafs also sent $500,000 to the Kings in the deal. Dean Lombardi is a wizard.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)