Jun 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes are over and the Toronto Maple Leafs have come out on top.
Bernier has been seeking to be traded out of L.A. since the end of their Stanley Cup run last summer and reiterated that hope again this year. Now he heads to Toronto where he’ll compete with James Reimer for the No. 1 job and potentially a world of debate over who the top guy should be.
Bernier had a strong bounceback season this year going 9-3-1 with a 1.88 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
For the Kings, picking up Frattin helps them out depth-wise at forward and gives them a fast-skating player with a knack for the net. In 25 games this season, he had seven goals and eight assists for the Leafs.
Scrivens, meanwhile, slots in right now as the backup for Jonathan Quick and after the year he had this season, it’s an ideal role for him. While Quick will get the vast majority of starts, Scrivens showed he can fill in well going 7-9-0 with a 2.65 GAA and a .915 SV%.
More importantly for the Kings? Frattin ($925K) and Scrivens ($612.5K) come cheaply with a combined cap hit of just over $1.5 million. Bernier is a restricted free agent this summer and set to likely make a bit more than that.
Update (2:22 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger adds the Leafs also sent $500,000 to the Kings in the deal. Dean Lombardi is a wizard.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)