Jun 23, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Many praise Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi for grabbing three assets for Jonathan Bernier – who was ready to move on as a restricted free agent any way – but he told NHL.com that it wasn’t easy to part with the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
“Unfortunately in this game, you’re not allowed to have a Grant Fuhr and an Andy Moog,” Lombardi said. “That’s the reality of what I’m dealing with … I don’t particularly relish these deals. You don’t start out with a hockey deal. It’s an asset deal. It was a very difficult deal to make. There was a lot of due diligence.
“It’s very difficult to get market value for a guy who’s No. 1. You do the best you can.”
Kings goalie coach Bill Ranford – another memorable former Edmonton Oilers goalie – raved about the 24-year-old netminder to ESPN.
“He’s the real deal,” Ranford said. “He’s really highly regarded by us. He’s not only a great goalie but he’s a great person. They’re going to love him there.”
There’s a sense of loss to the quotes from Kings execs, but the silver lining is that Lombardi believes that he made the right move by not moving him at the trade deadline.
” … Last year we talked a number of times … but I wasn’t completely convinced it was time to move John,” Lombardi said. “In the end, thank God I didn’t move him because he was clearly instrumental in us making the playoffs.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22