Jun 23, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
Many praise Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi for grabbing three assets for Jonathan Bernier – who was ready to move on as a restricted free agent any way – but he told NHL.com that it wasn’t easy to part with the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
“Unfortunately in this game, you’re not allowed to have a Grant Fuhr and an Andy Moog,” Lombardi said. “That’s the reality of what I’m dealing with … I don’t particularly relish these deals. You don’t start out with a hockey deal. It’s an asset deal. It was a very difficult deal to make. There was a lot of due diligence.
“It’s very difficult to get market value for a guy who’s No. 1. You do the best you can.”
Kings goalie coach Bill Ranford – another memorable former Edmonton Oilers goalie – raved about the 24-year-old netminder to ESPN.
“He’s the real deal,” Ranford said. “He’s really highly regarded by us. He’s not only a great goalie but he’s a great person. They’re going to love him there.”
There’s a sense of loss to the quotes from Kings execs, but the silver lining is that Lombardi believes that he made the right move by not moving him at the trade deadline.
” … Last year we talked a number of times … but I wasn’t completely convinced it was time to move John,” Lombardi said. “In the end, thank God I didn’t move him because he was clearly instrumental in us making the playoffs.”
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 1
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 1
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 9
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)