Jun 23, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Many praise Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi for grabbing three assets for Jonathan Bernier – who was ready to move on as a restricted free agent any way – but he told NHL.com that it wasn’t easy to part with the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
“Unfortunately in this game, you’re not allowed to have a Grant Fuhr and an Andy Moog,” Lombardi said. “That’s the reality of what I’m dealing with … I don’t particularly relish these deals. You don’t start out with a hockey deal. It’s an asset deal. It was a very difficult deal to make. There was a lot of due diligence.
“It’s very difficult to get market value for a guy who’s No. 1. You do the best you can.”
Kings goalie coach Bill Ranford – another memorable former Edmonton Oilers goalie – raved about the 24-year-old netminder to ESPN.
“He’s the real deal,” Ranford said. “He’s really highly regarded by us. He’s not only a great goalie but he’s a great person. They’re going to love him there.”
There’s a sense of loss to the quotes from Kings execs, but the silver lining is that Lombardi believes that he made the right move by not moving him at the trade deadline.
” … Last year we talked a number of times … but I wasn’t completely convinced it was time to move John,” Lombardi said. “In the end, thank God I didn’t move him because he was clearly instrumental in us making the playoffs.”
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)