Jun 10, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Will Rangers general manager Glen Sather remain Rangers general manager Glen Sather?
It all depends who you ask.
First, from Murphy’s Hockey Law (written by ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy):
Don’t be surprised if Sather, 69, decides to step down from his GM post and places another in charge of running the player personnel decisions. An NHL source as well as a Rangers team source have told MurphysHockeyLaw.com that Sather is considering such a move as he prepares to meet with his hockey operations staff in La Quinta, California this week to discuss the coaching situation, the roster going forward and prepare for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in Newark on June 30.
If Sather was to make such a move, he would retain his position as President of the Rangers and it’s believed he would name either Jim Schoenfeld — the current Rangers Assistant GM as well as Assistant Coach and General Manager of the team’s AHL affiliate the Connecticut Whale or current Rangers hockey consultant and former Wild GM Doug Risebrough to replace him as the new Rangers GM. Nothing is certain right now but according to these sources, Sather is seriously considering the decision.
But according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, there’s nothing to the above and Sather will remain in his current post for next season, as he said he would in late May after John Tortorella was fired as the Rangers’ head coach.
Sather, it should be noted, had surgery for prostate cancer in March.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)