Jun 10, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Will Rangers general manager Glen Sather remain Rangers general manager Glen Sather?
It all depends who you ask.
First, from Murphy’s Hockey Law (written by ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy):
Don’t be surprised if Sather, 69, decides to step down from his GM post and places another in charge of running the player personnel decisions. An NHL source as well as a Rangers team source have told MurphysHockeyLaw.com that Sather is considering such a move as he prepares to meet with his hockey operations staff in La Quinta, California this week to discuss the coaching situation, the roster going forward and prepare for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in Newark on June 30.
If Sather was to make such a move, he would retain his position as President of the Rangers and it’s believed he would name either Jim Schoenfeld — the current Rangers Assistant GM as well as Assistant Coach and General Manager of the team’s AHL affiliate the Connecticut Whale or current Rangers hockey consultant and former Wild GM Doug Risebrough to replace him as the new Rangers GM. Nothing is certain right now but according to these sources, Sather is seriously considering the decision.
But according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, there’s nothing to the above and Sather will remain in his current post for next season, as he said he would in late May after John Tortorella was fired as the Rangers’ head coach.
Sather, it should be noted, had surgery for prostate cancer in March.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 6
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 15
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 34
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 32
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)