May 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Glen Sather didn’t want to get into specifics when asked why he fired head coach John Tortorella.
The bottom line, according to New York’s general manager, was this: the Rangers were supposed to compete for a Stanley Cup, and they only lasted five games of the second round.
Sather even admitted that the reasons for the dismissal may seem “a little vague.”
“There isn’t one specific incident or one specific reason that brought this about,” he said.
But if there was a money quote during Sather’s conference call with reporters, it was this: “Every coach has a shelf life.”
The phrase “shelf life” has been used in conjunction with Tortorella a lot. Everyone knows he can be extremely demanding, and he’s certainly not afraid to use the media to call out his players. After a while, that approach can lose its desired effect. (Just ask another former Rangers bench boss, Mike Keenan, whose shelf life expired many, many times during his coaching career.)
You can listen to the audio of the call here.
Also worth noting:
—- Scratching Brad Richards for Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series was “an organizational decision,” according to Sather.
—- Sather hopes to hire a new coach in time for the draft on June 30.
—- Sather: “I can’t predict what the next coach’s system will be like.”
—- For those wondering about the shelf life of the GM, Sather said he plans to be back next season.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)