May 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Glen Sather didn’t want to get into specifics when asked why he fired head coach John Tortorella.
The bottom line, according to New York’s general manager, was this: the Rangers were supposed to compete for a Stanley Cup, and they only lasted five games of the second round.
Sather even admitted that the reasons for the dismissal may seem “a little vague.”
“There isn’t one specific incident or one specific reason that brought this about,” he said.
But if there was a money quote during Sather’s conference call with reporters, it was this: “Every coach has a shelf life.”
The phrase “shelf life” has been used in conjunction with Tortorella a lot. Everyone knows he can be extremely demanding, and he’s certainly not afraid to use the media to call out his players. After a while, that approach can lose its desired effect. (Just ask another former Rangers bench boss, Mike Keenan, whose shelf life expired many, many times during his coaching career.)
You can listen to the audio of the call here.
Also worth noting:
—- Scratching Brad Richards for Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series was “an organizational decision,” according to Sather.
—- Sather hopes to hire a new coach in time for the draft on June 30.
—- Sather: “I can’t predict what the next coach’s system will be like.”
—- For those wondering about the shelf life of the GM, Sather said he plans to be back next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)