May 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Glen Sather didn’t want to get into specifics when asked why he fired head coach John Tortorella.
The bottom line, according to New York’s general manager, was this: the Rangers were supposed to compete for a Stanley Cup, and they only lasted five games of the second round.
Sather even admitted that the reasons for the dismissal may seem “a little vague.”
“There isn’t one specific incident or one specific reason that brought this about,” he said.
But if there was a money quote during Sather’s conference call with reporters, it was this: “Every coach has a shelf life.”
The phrase “shelf life” has been used in conjunction with Tortorella a lot. Everyone knows he can be extremely demanding, and he’s certainly not afraid to use the media to call out his players. After a while, that approach can lose its desired effect. (Just ask another former Rangers bench boss, Mike Keenan, whose shelf life expired many, many times during his coaching career.)
You can listen to the audio of the call here.
Also worth noting:
—- Scratching Brad Richards for Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series was “an organizational decision,” according to Sather.
—- Sather hopes to hire a new coach in time for the draft on June 30.
—- Sather: “I can’t predict what the next coach’s system will be like.”
—- For those wondering about the shelf life of the GM, Sather said he plans to be back next season.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)