May 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Glen Sather didn’t want to get into specifics when asked why he fired head coach John Tortorella.
The bottom line, according to New York’s general manager, was this: the Rangers were supposed to compete for a Stanley Cup, and they only lasted five games of the second round.
Sather even admitted that the reasons for the dismissal may seem “a little vague.”
“There isn’t one specific incident or one specific reason that brought this about,” he said.
But if there was a money quote during Sather’s conference call with reporters, it was this: “Every coach has a shelf life.”
The phrase “shelf life” has been used in conjunction with Tortorella a lot. Everyone knows he can be extremely demanding, and he’s certainly not afraid to use the media to call out his players. After a while, that approach can lose its desired effect. (Just ask another former Rangers bench boss, Mike Keenan, whose shelf life expired many, many times during his coaching career.)
You can listen to the audio of the call here.
Also worth noting:
—- Scratching Brad Richards for Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series was “an organizational decision,” according to Sather.
—- Sather hopes to hire a new coach in time for the draft on June 30.
—- Sather: “I can’t predict what the next coach’s system will be like.”
—- For those wondering about the shelf life of the GM, Sather said he plans to be back next season.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)