May 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Glen Sather didn’t want to get into specifics when asked why he fired head coach John Tortorella.
The bottom line, according to New York’s general manager, was this: the Rangers were supposed to compete for a Stanley Cup, and they only lasted five games of the second round.
Sather even admitted that the reasons for the dismissal may seem “a little vague.”
“There isn’t one specific incident or one specific reason that brought this about,” he said.
But if there was a money quote during Sather’s conference call with reporters, it was this: “Every coach has a shelf life.”
The phrase “shelf life” has been used in conjunction with Tortorella a lot. Everyone knows he can be extremely demanding, and he’s certainly not afraid to use the media to call out his players. After a while, that approach can lose its desired effect. (Just ask another former Rangers bench boss, Mike Keenan, whose shelf life expired many, many times during his coaching career.)
You can listen to the audio of the call here.
Also worth noting:
—- Scratching Brad Richards for Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series was “an organizational decision,” according to Sather.
—- Sather hopes to hire a new coach in time for the draft on June 30.
—- Sather: “I can’t predict what the next coach’s system will be like.”
—- For those wondering about the shelf life of the GM, Sather said he plans to be back next season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)