Jun 10, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have received permission from the Buffalo Sabres to interview Lindy Ruff for their vacant head-coaching job, reports ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The Sabres relieved Ruff of his duties in February, but permission was presumably required to speak with him as he’s still technically under contract to Buffalo. (Ruff signed a multi-year extension with the Sabres in April of 2011.)
Ruff has been thought to be among the top candidates to become the new Rangers’ bench boss since John Tortorella was fired after New York was eliminated by the Boston Bruins in the second round of the playoffs.
It’s been reported that “multiple” New York players pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal.
Rangers general manager Glen Sather has said he’d like a new coach in place in time for the NHL draft on June 30.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)