Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

1. mclovinhockey - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

As much as I hate cherry, nothing is wrong with this comment. Do you think it’s okay for men to hang out in a women’s locker room while they are changing and showering?
    …………. I think I am going to become a reporter for female sports now haha.

• biasedhomer - Apr 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Society is full of double standards regarding gender.

But gotta agree, women shouldn’t be in men’s locker rooms.
      I’m not even sure why reporters need to go into locker rooms after a game, they could do an interview right before the game is over, or after they are cleaned up.

• biasedhomer - Apr 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I meant right after the game is over, before entering locker rooms

• badintent - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

You mean like the LPGA the LTA and the LFA ?? Yeah , we are all holding our breath for that to change for men to go in their locker rooms too. Double Standard .Maybe we can get UFC to allow men in the new women fighters locker room now that Dana smells the $$$ to be made on that stuff.

2. travishenryskid - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Don Cherry lives in ’70s.

3. gbar22 - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I don’t know if that is really that outlandish. I mean would women really like it of a male reporter was going into their dressing room afterwards to interrogate them while in various states of undress? I mean I don’t see why there can’t be a waiting period before entering to question the players. In a lot of ways it makes sense in respect to both sexes.

4. rippit2000 - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Do they let male reporters in the locker room after a women’s olympic soccer game or a WNBA basketball game? If not, why don’t they?

5. gbar22 - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Also in that regard if they wanted to set a rule in place that specifies a wait time before entering to ask questions to keep things fair it would make sense to apply that to male reporters as well. The players should be allowed to shower dress before facing reporters. It seems the civilized thing to do

6. 8man - Apr 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

…unless they are hookers….

7. JoeAvg - Apr 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM

This story hits just as my wife and I are discussing going to see Jurassic Park in 3D tomorrow. Ahh synchronicity!

8. ryanw822 - Apr 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Cherry is a moron.

If you ban women from the locker room, the Canadiens would only be able to field 11 skaters.

• govtminion - Apr 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Congratulations sir, you have won the internet for today!

• badintent - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM

PHT quote of the month !! You\ve won a dinner with Gary Bettmen and his hooker Twitch

• rippit2000 - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM

That is f’n beautiful!!! That might be the quote of the YEAR.

• greenmtnboy31 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Are you referring to the 1st place Montreal Canadiens or Canadiens in general who dominate most teams rosters as well as the scoring totals and most netminders? If you could clarify, it would help clear up if you’re a total moron or just a drunken knucklehead from Boston.

• ryanw822 - May 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I’m not from Boston but atleast this knucklehead knows the difference between Canadiens and Canadians…

9. President Charles Logan - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM

women belong in the kitchen ! lets go chop chop

10. chanceoffleury1 - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

As a female, I never really understood why interviews even took place in the locker room. I mean, how hard is it for a team to set up one of those little press stands with a team logo backdrop for players to come out to to answer questions after they put on a t-shirt and athletic shorts?

I know the Pens have a female PR lady (only female PR manager in the NHL), and ESPN recently did an article on her where she mentioned that, as much as the guys have always treated her with respect and as an equal, they have a joke that some locker rooms are not very “Jen-friendly” because the showers and changing areas are around where she is supposed to be setup. Now it’s a little different because she is a PR person and doesn’t really have a choice, but the reporters do. Regardless of the sport, female/male players shouldn’t be made to feel uncomfortable because they are stripping down with media of the opposite sex in the room. They should just set up media stands outside the locker room. It lets the media have their interviews and prevents the discrimination a “No Girls Allowed” ban would cause.

11. hockeyflow33 - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Not sure why people are putting more into this than what he said. Nothing hateful or sexist with what he said.

• badintent - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

you’re right. But the Hillary Clinton PC Police will be at his door with their dogs and whips soon enough.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I saw a bunch of tweets from women who work at CBC who said they were embarrassed for the network and I don’t know why.

12. hawkeedawg - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I was a volunteer during the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, working both men’s and women’s hockey. The volunteer group was 50% male and 50% female. We were allowed in all locker rooms until a certain point then they sounded the “Clear Out” and all volunteers and reporters had to leave. This applied to practices and games.

It is a workable solution.

I have been watching Cherry since he started Coaches Corner, and as Todd Bertuzzi famously once said “It is what it is”. Cherry is just that. He is who he is.

13. whammy71 - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

All I know is that the Flyers suck….the Pens are planning their parade……and who gives 2 craps what this old man in idiot suits says.

14. dohpey28 - Apr 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Nobody should be in a locker room, men or women. There should be a separate interview area.

15. billsboy88 - Apr 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

How about no reporters in the locker room during post game? None of the commentary is ever anything truly insightful anyhow. Just the usual athlete cliché responses about teamwork and focus.

There definitely shouldn’t be members of the opposite sex in the locker room, male or female. It’s an unfair situation for both the athletes and the reporters. So. let’s just eliminate the problem and make locker rooms a team-only area. As mentioned above, make the players change into gym clothes to come out and answer questions from the media so the talking heads can get their silly quotes and still make their deadlines.

I’ve never understood why the major sporting leagues allow this practice…

16. phillyphever - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

What do Don Cherry and Republicans have in common: both are stuck in the old days.

• President Charles Logan - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM

what do liberals and phillyphver have in common?
      theyre both peterpuffers

• babykaby - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yeah, back in the day when people actually had respect for one another. All you have to do is look at some of the user names people have selected here and you can see people have very little respect for women in general or themselves.

• clefty1 - Apr 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Liberals and Dems are the ones screwing up the U.S.

17. dumbassgreg - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM

really this only be news if cherry was for it. people bring up any issue. we can easily guess if cherry is for or against. he does not come from people who actually think deeply about things.. everything is black all bad, white all good.. lmao just wonder if sportsnet or tsn gets hockey over cbc. will ron and don take paycut. as much as they hate cbc. they are paid more then tsn or sportsnet will ever pay them. they are in business to make money. unlike cbc. lmao

• badintent - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

wong. Dead wrong. 4 years ago , some bimbo CEO of CBC tried to make Ron take a paycut or not give him a raise. He made a stink and she renlented.The imates are running the prison.

18. capsfan19 - Apr 28, 2013 at 1:08 AM

What is the female reporters went into the locker rooms naked? Problem solved

19. 19to77 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Man, what’s so offensive about that? Are male reporters commonly found in women’s locker rooms giving interviews after games? Don’s just calling it as he sees it. Why do people still act surprised by that after all these years? That’s who he is, that’s what he does. And he’s got a pretty solid point.

20. streetpack - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:23 AM

There is definitely a purpose to letting reporters in the locker room after the game. I won’t comment on the gender issue but sometimes the best moments in sports are captured right after a game has been played. If they wait until they’re all cleaned up for an interview that emotional element is gone.

21. haterzinc - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Who cares

22. graymalkin26 - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Go Don Go, hahaha…love it!

23. whatthepuck2012 - Apr 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

As a human, it pains me to agree with Cherry. As a female, I have to say I agree with chanceoffleury that there’s no reason for those locker room interviews. Male reporters don’t have access to female teams’ locker rooms. Females shouldn’t be walking around the mens’ either.

24. greenmtnboy31 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Don Cherry has hit a home run with this one and the proverbial nail on the head since he is apparently the only commentator with the stones to say what needs to be said. It is ridiculous that female reporters are allowed in a male locker room while they are showering, but he’s right that it is the double standard for women world that the liberals have created.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches