Oct 10, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
Don Cherry has a message for locked-out NHL players, and he sent it today via Twitter (@CoachsCornerCBC).
According to Grapes, NHLers should “quit tweeting and talking to the media about how bad [Gary] Bettman and the owners are” since it’s only going to upset the owners and make them “more determined” to get what they want in the CBA negotiations.
The NHLPA has launched a concerted PR campaign against the NHL during the lockout, with players using whatever outlets they can – whether it’s the mainstream media or social media – to tell their side of the story.
On a number of occasions, the players have taken direct aim at the commissioner.
Just wanted to send out big congrats to gray bettman on his 3rd consecutive work stoppage. Impressive stats for someone w no athletic skill—
John-Michael Liles (@hoosierjm26) September 16, 2012
Whether Cherry is right and Bettman and the owners will use the players’ barbs as bulletin-board material is up for debate. But for fans, the rhetoric from each side has gotten very old. By now, everyone knows the issues. All they want to hear is that a deal is done.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)