Jan 8, 2013, 8:32 AM EDT
Plenty of credit has gone to mediator Scot L. Beckenbaugh for his role in helping the two sides bridge the gap, but Cherry offered up a different, more controversial candidate as the season’s savior.
“For all you people that are going to watch NHL hockey this year, make no mistake about it, you’re watching it because of Gary Bettman,” Cherry tweeted. “Bettman was the guy that had to pull the trigger whether this was done or not. He saved the season.”
A number of players directed their ire at Bettman during the lockout and back in November, Cherry also spoke out against the players for some of the things that the NHL commissioner had been called. He also previously argued that the NHLPA should have voted on an offer the owners made in early December.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 5
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 26
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20