Jan 8, 2013, 8:32 AM EDT
Plenty of credit has gone to mediator Scot L. Beckenbaugh for his role in helping the two sides bridge the gap, but Cherry offered up a different, more controversial candidate as the season’s savior.
“For all you people that are going to watch NHL hockey this year, make no mistake about it, you’re watching it because of Gary Bettman,” Cherry tweeted. “Bettman was the guy that had to pull the trigger whether this was done or not. He saved the season.”
A number of players directed their ire at Bettman during the lockout and back in November, Cherry also spoke out against the players for some of the things that the NHL commissioner had been called. He also previously argued that the NHLPA should have voted on an offer the owners made in early December.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5