Dec 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
If you’re looking for an optimistic view on the future of the CBA negotiations, Don Cherry hasn’t been your man lately.
Roughly two months ago, Cherry said, “If I’m betting, I’d say no [NHL season].”
He seemed to reinforce that sentiment when he suggested that the dramatic collapse of talks on Dec. 6 solidified the hard-line owners’ stance.
“Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year,” Cherry said in summary at the time.
Now, after weeks of little to no communication between the two sides, Cherry seems much more optimistic.
“Look to the middle of January for the game to return!” Cherry tweeted.
So what changed his mind? Ultimately, he doesn’t think that anyone “in their right mind would kill the goose that lays these golden eggs.”
He went on to assert that a shortened NHL season will be “terrific.”
“Those people who say it won’t be good hockey because it’s only half a season don’t know what they’re talking about,” he said.
“Don’t you remember the last time it was half a season and New Jersey won the Cup? It was a sprint not a marathon. Play within their own conference. Lots of action. The guys know every game is important. Won’t have the half season blahs.”
The CBA talks won’t resume before Christmas, but they might restart shortly after that.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)