Dec 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
If you’re looking for an optimistic view on the future of the CBA negotiations, Don Cherry hasn’t been your man lately.
Roughly two months ago, Cherry said, “If I’m betting, I’d say no [NHL season].”
He seemed to reinforce that sentiment when he suggested that the dramatic collapse of talks on Dec. 6 solidified the hard-line owners’ stance.
“Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year,” Cherry said in summary at the time.
Now, after weeks of little to no communication between the two sides, Cherry seems much more optimistic.
“Look to the middle of January for the game to return!” Cherry tweeted.
So what changed his mind? Ultimately, he doesn’t think that anyone “in their right mind would kill the goose that lays these golden eggs.”
He went on to assert that a shortened NHL season will be “terrific.”
“Those people who say it won’t be good hockey because it’s only half a season don’t know what they’re talking about,” he said.
“Don’t you remember the last time it was half a season and New Jersey won the Cup? It was a sprint not a marathon. Play within their own conference. Lots of action. The guys know every game is important. Won’t have the half season blahs.”
The CBA talks won’t resume before Christmas, but they might restart shortly after that.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)