Dec 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
If you’re looking for an optimistic view on the future of the CBA negotiations, Don Cherry hasn’t been your man lately.
Roughly two months ago, Cherry said, “If I’m betting, I’d say no [NHL season].”
He seemed to reinforce that sentiment when he suggested that the dramatic collapse of talks on Dec. 6 solidified the hard-line owners’ stance.
“Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year,” Cherry said in summary at the time.
Now, after weeks of little to no communication between the two sides, Cherry seems much more optimistic.
“Look to the middle of January for the game to return!” Cherry tweeted.
So what changed his mind? Ultimately, he doesn’t think that anyone “in their right mind would kill the goose that lays these golden eggs.”
He went on to assert that a shortened NHL season will be “terrific.”
“Those people who say it won’t be good hockey because it’s only half a season don’t know what they’re talking about,” he said.
“Don’t you remember the last time it was half a season and New Jersey won the Cup? It was a sprint not a marathon. Play within their own conference. Lots of action. The guys know every game is important. Won’t have the half season blahs.”
The CBA talks won’t resume before Christmas, but they might restart shortly after that.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)