Nov 1, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
There’s still time to save the 2012-13 campaign, but Don Cherry certainly isn’t holding his breath.
“If I’m betting, I’d say no [NHL season],” Cherry told CBC’s Matt Galloway.
That’s a depressing reversal from his August prediction of a two-month lockout.
At this point, we can’t count on getting a full 82-game schedule even if the lockout ended today and the Winter Classic is reportedly in danger.
There’s still time to save the season, but Cherry thinks that if it doesn’t happen by Jan. 1, then “we might have [the season] gone.”
Cherry also lashed out at critics who blame NHL commissioner Gary Bettman for the lockout.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous,” he said. “[The owners] had a vote at the start… 30 said yes [to the] lockout. It wasn’t Bettman. If they had said no lockout, there wouldn’t have been a lockout. He’s the guy everybody goes after, it’s ridiculous. If 20 owners walked up to him right now and said ‘we’re going back,’ they’d go back.”
If you’re looking for a somewhat more optimistic look on our chances of having a 2012-13 campaign, then you might be interested in what Jeremy Roenick has to say.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)