Apr 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled prospect Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan.
Sheahan, 20, gained major notoriety last year when was arrested in October after police found him driving the wrong way down a road…while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” according to Michigan law — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
In early December, Sheahan plead guilty to super-drunk driving charges and was forced to pay a $1,325 fine and agree to complete 49 hours on a work crew.
He was also instructed to attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A remorseful Sheahan spoke with MLive in January, saying he hadn’t consumed alcohol since the incident while expressing regret and embarrassment over the incident.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
On the ice, Sheahan has enjoyed a successful campaign, scoring 16G-19A-35PTS for the Griffins this year while recording a plus-7 rating.
The former University of Notre Dame standout was Detroit’s first-round selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, taken 21st overall.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)