Apr 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled prospect Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan.
Sheahan, 20, gained major notoriety last year when was arrested in October after police found him driving the wrong way down a road…while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” according to Michigan law — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
In early December, Sheahan plead guilty to super-drunk driving charges and was forced to pay a $1,325 fine and agree to complete 49 hours on a work crew.
He was also instructed to attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A remorseful Sheahan spoke with MLive in January, saying he hadn’t consumed alcohol since the incident while expressing regret and embarrassment over the incident.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
On the ice, Sheahan has enjoyed a successful campaign, scoring 16G-19A-35PTS for the Griffins this year while recording a plus-7 rating.
The former University of Notre Dame standout was Detroit’s first-round selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, taken 21st overall.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)