Apr 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled prospect Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan.
Sheahan, 20, gained major notoriety last year when was arrested in October after police found him driving the wrong way down a road…while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” according to Michigan law — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
In early December, Sheahan plead guilty to super-drunk driving charges and was forced to pay a $1,325 fine and agree to complete 49 hours on a work crew.
He was also instructed to attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A remorseful Sheahan spoke with MLive in January, saying he hadn’t consumed alcohol since the incident while expressing regret and embarrassment over the incident.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
On the ice, Sheahan has enjoyed a successful campaign, scoring 16G-19A-35PTS for the Griffins this year while recording a plus-7 rating.
The former University of Notre Dame standout was Detroit’s first-round selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, taken 21st overall.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)