Apr 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled prospect Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan.
Sheahan, 20, gained major notoriety last year when was arrested in October after police found him driving the wrong way down a road…while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” according to Michigan law — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
In early December, Sheahan plead guilty to super-drunk driving charges and was forced to pay a $1,325 fine and agree to complete 49 hours on a work crew.
He was also instructed to attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A remorseful Sheahan spoke with MLive in January, saying he hadn’t consumed alcohol since the incident while expressing regret and embarrassment over the incident.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
On the ice, Sheahan has enjoyed a successful campaign, scoring 16G-19A-35PTS for the Griffins this year while recording a plus-7 rating.
The former University of Notre Dame standout was Detroit’s first-round selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, taken 21st overall.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)