Red Wings prospect arrested for “super-drunk” driving was using teammate’s ID, wearing purple Teletubby costume
Nov 27, 2012, 1:37 PM EST
Riley Sheahan might have a tough time living this one down.
The Detroit prospect — a first-round pick in 2010 — was caught using a fellow Detroit prospect’s ID while wearing a purple Teletubby costume upon being arrested for “super-drunk” driving in Grand Rapids on Oct. 29.
Sheahan, 20, was reportedly using Brendan Smith‘s drivers license (Detroit’s first-round pick in 2007, who is 23).
He was driving the wrong way down a street upon being pulled over, and authorities initially believed they’d arrested Smith until learning of Sheahan’s identity later in the evening.
As for the outfit, one can only hope it was for a Halloween party.
Here are the details from the police report, obtained by MLive.com:
“Riley had a Michigan driver’s license in the license window in his wallet, which is what Officer Dyer used as his ID. Deputies found Riley’s Canadian license in the wallet after it was turned in with his property and he kept telling them his name was Riley.
“Riley is only 20 and I asked him if he had Branden’s (sic) ID so he could get in the bars. He shook his head yes and stated ‘yea.’“
The report also states Sheahan failed two sobriety tasks and refused to take a breath test. The test was later administered at the Kent County Jail, where he blew .30 twice. He was charged under Michigan’s new “super drunk” distinction of driving with a BAC of .17 or higher.
Afterward, Sheahan was sent to a local hospital — where he had to be cleared because of his high blood-alcohol content — before being taken back to jail.
Sheahan has pled not guilty to the super-drunk charge. If convicted, he could face up to 180 days in jail and possibly face deportation, given he’s not a U.S. citizen.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)