Red Wings prospect arrested for “super-drunk” driving was using teammate’s ID, wearing purple Teletubby costume
Nov 27, 2012, 1:37 PM EST
Riley Sheahan might have a tough time living this one down.
The Detroit prospect — a first-round pick in 2010 — was caught using a fellow Detroit prospect’s ID while wearing a purple Teletubby costume upon being arrested for “super-drunk” driving in Grand Rapids on Oct. 29.
Sheahan, 20, was reportedly using Brendan Smith‘s drivers license (Detroit’s first-round pick in 2007, who is 23).
He was driving the wrong way down a street upon being pulled over, and authorities initially believed they’d arrested Smith until learning of Sheahan’s identity later in the evening.
As for the outfit, one can only hope it was for a Halloween party.
Here are the details from the police report, obtained by MLive.com:
“Riley had a Michigan driver’s license in the license window in his wallet, which is what Officer Dyer used as his ID. Deputies found Riley’s Canadian license in the wallet after it was turned in with his property and he kept telling them his name was Riley.
“Riley is only 20 and I asked him if he had Branden’s (sic) ID so he could get in the bars. He shook his head yes and stated ‘yea.’“
The report also states Sheahan failed two sobriety tasks and refused to take a breath test. The test was later administered at the Kent County Jail, where he blew .30 twice. He was charged under Michigan’s new “super drunk” distinction of driving with a BAC of .17 or higher.
Afterward, Sheahan was sent to a local hospital — where he had to be cleared because of his high blood-alcohol content — before being taken back to jail.
Sheahan has pled not guilty to the super-drunk charge. If convicted, he could face up to 180 days in jail and possibly face deportation, given he’s not a U.S. citizen.
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 0
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)