Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
On Thursday, Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty to “super-drunk” driving charges in a Michigan court.
Sheahan, 20, was arrested on Oct. 29 after police found him driving the wrong way down a road while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
While additional charges of displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way were dropped, Sheahan still faces a myriad of punishments for the super-drunk charge.
Court officials said Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A person found guilty of diving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher receives a one-year suspension of their driver’s license, according to the Secretary of State. After 45 days, they are eligible to drive using an ignition interlock device installed at the owner’s expense.
Sheahan was Detroit’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — that same year, Sheahan was arrested on another alcohol-related charge (public intoxication, consumption by a minor) as a freshman at Notre Dame.
Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill told ESPN that Sheahan “”getting help right now and will continue to get help.”
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 7
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming