Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
On Thursday, Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty to “super-drunk” driving charges in a Michigan court.
Sheahan, 20, was arrested on Oct. 29 after police found him driving the wrong way down a road while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
While additional charges of displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way were dropped, Sheahan still faces a myriad of punishments for the super-drunk charge.
Court officials said Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A person found guilty of diving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher receives a one-year suspension of their driver’s license, according to the Secretary of State. After 45 days, they are eligible to drive using an ignition interlock device installed at the owner’s expense.
Sheahan was Detroit’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — that same year, Sheahan was arrested on another alcohol-related charge (public intoxication, consumption by a minor) as a freshman at Notre Dame.
Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill told ESPN that Sheahan “”getting help right now and will continue to get help.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)