Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
On Thursday, Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty to “super-drunk” driving charges in a Michigan court.
Sheahan, 20, was arrested on Oct. 29 after police found him driving the wrong way down a road while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
While additional charges of displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way were dropped, Sheahan still faces a myriad of punishments for the super-drunk charge.
Court officials said Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A person found guilty of diving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher receives a one-year suspension of their driver’s license, according to the Secretary of State. After 45 days, they are eligible to drive using an ignition interlock device installed at the owner’s expense.
Sheahan was Detroit’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — that same year, Sheahan was arrested on another alcohol-related charge (public intoxication, consumption by a minor) as a freshman at Notre Dame.
Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill told ESPN that Sheahan “”getting help right now and will continue to get help.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)