Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
On Thursday, Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty to “super-drunk” driving charges in a Michigan court.
Sheahan, 20, was arrested on Oct. 29 after police found him driving the wrong way down a road while in possession of AHL Grand Rapids teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID.
Clad in a purple Teletubby costume, Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer — any blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher designates “super-drunk” — and had to be sent to a local hospital for clearance, given how high his BAC was.
While additional charges of displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way were dropped, Sheahan still faces a myriad of punishments for the super-drunk charge.
Court officials said Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.
A person found guilty of diving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher receives a one-year suspension of their driver’s license, according to the Secretary of State. After 45 days, they are eligible to drive using an ignition interlock device installed at the owner’s expense.
Sheahan was Detroit’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — that same year, Sheahan was arrested on another alcohol-related charge (public intoxication, consumption by a minor) as a freshman at Notre Dame.
Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill told ESPN that Sheahan “”getting help right now and will continue to get help.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (81)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)