Jan 3, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty last month to being “super-drunk” while driving.
He was caught by police in a purple Teletubby costume with teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID. He had a blood-alcohol content of .30 — which is well above the .17 necessary to be designated as “super-drunk” — and needed to be sent to a hospital for clearance.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said in an MLive.com report. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
Sheahan said that worst part was the fact that he embarrassed his parents and the Red Wings’ organization.
“I haven’t drank since, and I’ll try to keep it that way for however long I feel like I should,” he said. “Maybe sometime down the road I can venture back into it, but as of now, I don’t feel like there’s any room for it.”
Sheahan has been talking to community members about the decision he made and the consequences of it. On the ice, he’s been great lately with three goals and four points in his last five games with the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins.
He’s been getting plenty of opportunities and his coach, Jeff Blashill, seems happy with his performance. With the ugly incident behind him, things are starting to look up again.
“I guess the fans who all read the news articles and everything, they may just think of me a problem kid who has a drinking problem,” he said. “But I’m going to work hard to get myself out there and maybe change those people’s minds.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)