Jan 3, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pled guilty last month to being “super-drunk” while driving.
He was caught by police in a purple Teletubby costume with teammate Brendan Smith‘s ID. He had a blood-alcohol content of .30 — which is well above the .17 necessary to be designated as “super-drunk” — and needed to be sent to a hospital for clearance.
“It was a terrible decision. I’m paying the consequences for it,” Sheahan said in an MLive.com report. “There’s so much space in my life now to recover from it and make better decisions, and teach people that they don’t want to go through something like that.”
Sheahan said that worst part was the fact that he embarrassed his parents and the Red Wings’ organization.
“I haven’t drank since, and I’ll try to keep it that way for however long I feel like I should,” he said. “Maybe sometime down the road I can venture back into it, but as of now, I don’t feel like there’s any room for it.”
Sheahan has been talking to community members about the decision he made and the consequences of it. On the ice, he’s been great lately with three goals and four points in his last five games with the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins.
He’s been getting plenty of opportunities and his coach, Jeff Blashill, seems happy with his performance. With the ugly incident behind him, things are starting to look up again.
“I guess the fans who all read the news articles and everything, they may just think of me a problem kid who has a drinking problem,” he said. “But I’m going to work hard to get myself out there and maybe change those people’s minds.”
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)