Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT
While the Chicago Blackhawks were relatively diplomatic with their take on the Marian Hossa hit, Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault confidently told the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus that Jannik Hansen won’t face supplemental discipline.
“Not a chance. Not a chance,” Vigneault said. “[He was] trying to grab a puck in the air. It’s unfortunate if a young man is hurt, it’s unfortunate. Trying to jump to get the puck. Stuff happens.”
In fact, Vigneault even believes that officials erred when giving Hansen, 29, a minor penalty for roughing.
“It wasn’t even a penalty,” Vigneault said. “Until Toews went out to talk to [refs] it wasn’t even a penalty.”
The Canucks came back in the game to earn a charity point, but the Blackhawks got the last laugh with a 4-3 shootout victory.
In case you’re wondering, the Canucks have one more regular season game left against the Blackhawks: a home matchup versus Chicago on April 22.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)