Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT
While the Chicago Blackhawks were relatively diplomatic with their take on the Marian Hossa hit, Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault confidently told the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus that Jannik Hansen won’t face supplemental discipline.
“Not a chance. Not a chance,” Vigneault said. “[He was] trying to grab a puck in the air. It’s unfortunate if a young man is hurt, it’s unfortunate. Trying to jump to get the puck. Stuff happens.”
In fact, Vigneault even believes that officials erred when giving Hansen, 29, a minor penalty for roughing.
“It wasn’t even a penalty,” Vigneault said. “Until Toews went out to talk to [refs] it wasn’t even a penalty.”
The Canucks came back in the game to earn a charity point, but the Blackhawks got the last laugh with a 4-3 shootout victory.
In case you’re wondering, the Canucks have one more regular season game left against the Blackhawks: a home matchup versus Chicago on April 22.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)