Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 AM EST
While the Chicago Blackhawks were relatively diplomatic with their take on the Marian Hossa hit, Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault confidently told the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus that Jannik Hansen won’t face supplemental discipline.
“Not a chance. Not a chance,” Vigneault said. “[He was] trying to grab a puck in the air. It’s unfortunate if a young man is hurt, it’s unfortunate. Trying to jump to get the puck. Stuff happens.”
In fact, Vigneault even believes that officials erred when giving Hansen, 29, a minor penalty for roughing.
“It wasn’t even a penalty,” Vigneault said. “Until Toews went out to talk to [refs] it wasn’t even a penalty.”
The Canucks came back in the game to earn a charity point, but the Blackhawks got the last laugh with a 4-3 shootout victory.
In case you’re wondering, the Canucks have one more regular season game left against the Blackhawks: a home matchup versus Chicago on April 22.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)