Chicago coach on Hossa: “He seemed OK”

Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EST

marianhossatuesdaygetty Getty Images

While it’s early on in the process, Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville provided a hopeful update regarding Marian Hossa‘s health following a controversial Jannik Hansen hit from Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win against the Vancouver Canucks.

Here’s what he told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers:

“He seemed OK but we’ll know more tomorrow,” Quenneville said.

Another bright side: Quenneville said that the 34-year-old forward didn’t head to the hospital (at least immediately). Still, Quenneville also admitted that Hossa’s concussion history makes the situation a major concern.

As far as whether Hansen delivered a dirty hit, Quenneville avoided passing blame.

“Everybody saw it, everybody can have their own opinion,” Quenneville said. “I’ll let the people that do that stuff do their job.”

(Decide for yourself by watching the hit video here.)

Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews‘ take didn’t seem too vitriolic, but he did provided a more pointed observation to the Chicago Sun-Time’s Mark Lazerus.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt that there was contact to the head there,” Toews said. “We just hope that Hoss is going to be OK.”

The concern did put a damper on the team’s record-tying start, although said the team “should be proud of the achievement.”

1. loinstache - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Canucks fan and I really hope Hossa is ok, far too good of a player to see off the ice. Incredibly dumb (malicious or not) play by Hansen and he probably will get punished, but this is completely out of norm for a player who is by no means scummy/dirty.

• mds1990 - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM

“player who is by no means scummy/dirty”

• loinstache - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

LOL you think an interference penalty in the most important game of a player’s life makes them dirty? Real hard hittin’ journalism, guess every hockey player who’s been penalized is one youtube clip away from villainy eh?

• mds1990 - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM

loinstache laying a guy out who was across the ice not even close to the puck because you can’t lose with with some dignity? Yea I’d call that dirty

2. canucks18 - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Malicious? Give me a break they both reached up for the puck and he did not hit him hard. It was a unfortunate play yes but it wasn’t intent to injur the guy.

• kicksave1980 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM

If Hansen was reaching for the puck there, I’d be concerned about his reflexes, because he’s a lot slower than a typical NHL player. By the time he got his arm up (and into the back of Hossa’s head), Hossa had clearly beaten him to the puck.

Was it an intent to injure? Who knows. I’m not going to go as far as to say that Hansen was trying to injure Hossa, but it didn’t look good.

• r4n6er - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

People assume that NHLers are so talented that they never miss a puck that they reach for, and missing means it is intentional and dirty. Give me a break, this was full speed action, two guys fighting for the puck.

• rosettast0ned - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Brashear, Bertuzzi, Rome, Torres, Hansen, Burrows… Anyone notice a trend here? Seems to me like Vancouver is notorious for turning out goons, cheap shot artists, and players that have a soft spot for cannibalism (Burrows). And the last time I checked a hand was used to catch things, not an elbow or forearm. We have these amazing things called opposable thumbs as human beings and they work great for catching pucks! And no I am not a hawks fan but I have a lot of respect for Hossa, and it is too bad he has been the victim of two cheap shots from two products of Vancouver.

3. indianhead1992 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM

@canucks.
    that was a dirty hit, last time I checked you dont catch pucks with your forearm/elbow area. you guys were booing duncan keith for his hit on sedin from last year. they are both not hockey plays. at least I can admit when my team plays dirty but canucks fans just seem to always watch a different game from the whole nhl. canucks have pullied keiths hair anf kneed him in the groin, along with some biting in the finals. panzies

• r4n6er - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Funny. You are the only Hawks fan that I could find that admitted Keiths elbow was a cheap-shot. I am sure that you will be 86’d from all Hawks bars now

• kicksave1980 - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I’ll admit it was a cheap shot. Most Hawks fans will admit that. The thing that Canucks fans fail to remember is that something led to that. Any team that has guys like Lapierre, Burrows, Kessler and Bieksa on it has absolutely no room to plead innocence when something happens to one of their guys.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins