Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
While it’s early on in the process, Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville provided a hopeful update regarding Marian Hossa‘s health following a controversial Jannik Hansen hit from Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win against the Vancouver Canucks.
Here’s what he told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers:
“He seemed OK but we’ll know more tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Another bright side: Quenneville said that the 34-year-old forward didn’t head to the hospital (at least immediately). Still, Quenneville also admitted that Hossa’s concussion history makes the situation a major concern.
As far as whether Hansen delivered a dirty hit, Quenneville avoided passing blame.
“Everybody saw it, everybody can have their own opinion,” Quenneville said. “I’ll let the people that do that stuff do their job.”
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews‘ take didn’t seem too vitriolic, but he did provided a more pointed observation to the Chicago Sun-Time’s Mark Lazerus.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt that there was contact to the head there,” Toews said. “We just hope that Hoss is going to be OK.”
The concern did put a damper on the team’s record-tying start, although said the team “should be proud of the achievement.”
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 6
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 7
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot