Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
While it’s early on in the process, Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville provided a hopeful update regarding Marian Hossa‘s health following a controversial Jannik Hansen hit from Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win against the Vancouver Canucks.
Here’s what he told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers:
“He seemed OK but we’ll know more tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Another bright side: Quenneville said that the 34-year-old forward didn’t head to the hospital (at least immediately). Still, Quenneville also admitted that Hossa’s concussion history makes the situation a major concern.
As far as whether Hansen delivered a dirty hit, Quenneville avoided passing blame.
“Everybody saw it, everybody can have their own opinion,” Quenneville said. “I’ll let the people that do that stuff do their job.”
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews‘ take didn’t seem too vitriolic, but he did provided a more pointed observation to the Chicago Sun-Time’s Mark Lazerus.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt that there was contact to the head there,” Toews said. “We just hope that Hoss is going to be OK.”
The concern did put a damper on the team’s record-tying start, although said the team “should be proud of the achievement.”
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)