Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EST
While it’s early on in the process, Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville provided a hopeful update regarding Marian Hossa‘s health following a controversial Jannik Hansen hit from Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win against the Vancouver Canucks.
Here’s what he told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers:
“He seemed OK but we’ll know more tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Another bright side: Quenneville said that the 34-year-old forward didn’t head to the hospital (at least immediately). Still, Quenneville also admitted that Hossa’s concussion history makes the situation a major concern.
As far as whether Hansen delivered a dirty hit, Quenneville avoided passing blame.
“Everybody saw it, everybody can have their own opinion,” Quenneville said. “I’ll let the people that do that stuff do their job.”
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews‘ take didn’t seem too vitriolic, but he did provided a more pointed observation to the Chicago Sun-Time’s Mark Lazerus.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt that there was contact to the head there,” Toews said. “We just hope that Hoss is going to be OK.”
The concern did put a damper on the team’s record-tying start, although said the team “should be proud of the achievement.”
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)