Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have assigned center Mark Arcobello back to AHL Oklahoma City, likely meaning Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be back in the lineup Saturday in Detroit after missing Wednesday’s game against Dallas with a sore shoulder.
But even with a healthy Nugent-Hopkins, the Oilers still have injury concerns at center. Shawn Horcoff is out for a while with a broken knuckle and Eric Belanger has been sidelined with a broken toe.
“Down the middle we’re hurting, for sure, but we found a way to battle through that adversity and earn a point,” said forward Jordan Eberle after last night’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Stars.
All the injuries have led to calls for general manager Steve Tambellini to go out and get some help at center.
Of course, finding serviceable centers is easier said than done in a league where every GM knows the importance of depth down the middle.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 0
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31