Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have assigned center Mark Arcobello back to AHL Oklahoma City, likely meaning Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be back in the lineup Saturday in Detroit after missing Wednesday’s game against Dallas with a sore shoulder.
But even with a healthy Nugent-Hopkins, the Oilers still have injury concerns at center. Shawn Horcoff is out for a while with a broken knuckle and Eric Belanger has been sidelined with a broken toe.
“Down the middle we’re hurting, for sure, but we found a way to battle through that adversity and earn a point,” said forward Jordan Eberle after last night’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Stars.
All the injuries have led to calls for general manager Steve Tambellini to go out and get some help at center.
Of course, finding serviceable centers is easier said than done in a league where every GM knows the importance of depth down the middle.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 14
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25