Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 AM EST
Edmonton Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff can’t seem to catch a break.
In his first game back after being briefly sidelined by a Jan. 30 neck injury, the 34-year-old center took a puck off the hand and won’t return to Monday’s match against the Vancouver Canucks.
Update: Head coach Ralph Krueger announced that he suffered a broken knuckle and will be out “long term.”
Horcoff’s importance to Edmonton has declined as the team has bolstered its lineup with prospects – some are even arguing that he should give up the “C” soon – but with Eric Belanger day-to-day with a foot injury, the team is getting a little weaker down the middle.
If nothing else, they’ll have fewer options when it comes to players who can do the dirty work for their young stars.
Horcoff has a goal and an assist in his six games so far in 2013. We’ll see if he gets a chance to add to those totals.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)