Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff can’t seem to catch a break.
In his first game back after being briefly sidelined by a Jan. 30 neck injury, the 34-year-old center took a puck off the hand and won’t return to Monday’s match against the Vancouver Canucks.
Update: Head coach Ralph Krueger announced that he suffered a broken knuckle and will be out “long term.”
Horcoff’s importance to Edmonton has declined as the team has bolstered its lineup with prospects – some are even arguing that he should give up the “C” soon – but with Eric Belanger day-to-day with a foot injury, the team is getting a little weaker down the middle.
If nothing else, they’ll have fewer options when it comes to players who can do the dirty work for their young stars.
Horcoff has a goal and an assist in his six games so far in 2013. We’ll see if he gets a chance to add to those totals.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)