Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff can’t seem to catch a break.
In his first game back after being briefly sidelined by a Jan. 30 neck injury, the 34-year-old center took a puck off the hand and won’t return to Monday’s match against the Vancouver Canucks.
Update: Head coach Ralph Krueger announced that he suffered a broken knuckle and will be out “long term.”
Horcoff’s importance to Edmonton has declined as the team has bolstered its lineup with prospects – some are even arguing that he should give up the “C” soon – but with Eric Belanger day-to-day with a foot injury, the team is getting a little weaker down the middle.
If nothing else, they’ll have fewer options when it comes to players who can do the dirty work for their young stars.
Horcoff has a goal and an assist in his six games so far in 2013. We’ll see if he gets a chance to add to those totals.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 0
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 117
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (116)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)