Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have placed veteran center Eric Belanger on injured reserve with a foot injury.
Belanger, 35, was hurt during Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Colorado after blocking an Erik Johnson shot in the first period. He returned to the game and finished with over 13 minutes of ice time, but was only able to do so because he kept his skate on, which prevented the foot from swelling up.
Prior to the injury, Belanger had appeared in all eight games for Edmonton this season, failing to record a point but averaging over 13 minutes per game.
He’d also taken the second-most faceoffs on the team (112), winning 52.7 percent.
The Oilers will host the Canucks tonight at Rexall and then host Dallas on Thursday before heading out to Detroit for a Saturday date at the Joe.
Update: According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, Belanger is believed to have broken a toe.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)