Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have placed veteran center Eric Belanger on injured reserve with a foot injury.
Belanger, 35, was hurt during Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Colorado after blocking an Erik Johnson shot in the first period. He returned to the game and finished with over 13 minutes of ice time, but was only able to do so because he kept his skate on, which prevented the foot from swelling up.
Prior to the injury, Belanger had appeared in all eight games for Edmonton this season, failing to record a point but averaging over 13 minutes per game.
He’d also taken the second-most faceoffs on the team (112), winning 52.7 percent.
The Oilers will host the Canucks tonight at Rexall and then host Dallas on Thursday before heading out to Detroit for a Saturday date at the Joe.
Update: According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, Belanger is believed to have broken a toe.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)