Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have placed veteran center Eric Belanger on injured reserve with a foot injury.
Belanger, 35, was hurt during Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Colorado after blocking an Erik Johnson shot in the first period. He returned to the game and finished with over 13 minutes of ice time, but was only able to do so because he kept his skate on, which prevented the foot from swelling up.
Prior to the injury, Belanger had appeared in all eight games for Edmonton this season, failing to record a point but averaging over 13 minutes per game.
He’d also taken the second-most faceoffs on the team (112), winning 52.7 percent.
The Oilers will host the Canucks tonight at Rexall and then host Dallas on Thursday before heading out to Detroit for a Saturday date at the Joe.
Update: According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, Belanger is believed to have broken a toe.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)