Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have placed veteran center Eric Belanger on injured reserve with a foot injury.
Belanger, 35, was hurt during Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Colorado after blocking an Erik Johnson shot in the first period. He returned to the game and finished with over 13 minutes of ice time, but was only able to do so because he kept his skate on, which prevented the foot from swelling up.
Prior to the injury, Belanger had appeared in all eight games for Edmonton this season, failing to record a point but averaging over 13 minutes per game.
He’d also taken the second-most faceoffs on the team (112), winning 52.7 percent.
The Oilers will host the Canucks tonight at Rexall and then host Dallas on Thursday before heading out to Detroit for a Saturday date at the Joe.
Update: According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, Belanger is believed to have broken a toe.
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 0
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 9
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)