Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have placed veteran center Eric Belanger on injured reserve with a foot injury.
Belanger, 35, was hurt during Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Colorado after blocking an Erik Johnson shot in the first period. He returned to the game and finished with over 13 minutes of ice time, but was only able to do so because he kept his skate on, which prevented the foot from swelling up.
Prior to the injury, Belanger had appeared in all eight games for Edmonton this season, failing to record a point but averaging over 13 minutes per game.
He’d also taken the second-most faceoffs on the team (112), winning 52.7 percent.
The Oilers will host the Canucks tonight at Rexall and then host Dallas on Thursday before heading out to Detroit for a Saturday date at the Joe.
Update: According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, Belanger is believed to have broken a toe.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)