Dec 1, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Jeremy Roenick doesn’t blame the owners for going through with this lockout, but he does think it’s time for them to end it.
“The owners did need to do this to make a more level playing field with the revenue, but I think there’s a deal there that they should be biting on and that frustrates me,” said Roenick, according to the Courier-Post.
“I think the players have really done a pretty phenomenal job in giving a lot back to the owners. The owners do need to do this.”
The NHLPA’s latest offer would have given the league and players a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, plus an additional $393 million to the players over four years in recognition of the contracts already signed.
The NHL rejected that offer and there have been no major negotiations since. It appears that in addition to the financial issues, the two sides are divided when it comes to contract rights.
Roenick was hoping that including federal mediators in the process would help, but the union and league’s meetings with mediators ended without any progress being made.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)