Nov 29, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
The NHL spoke with federal mediators for two days and the results weren’t encouraging.
“Today, we concluded two days of mediation with FMCS mediators and representatives of the NHL Players’ Association,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement.
“After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time.
“We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful.”
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr’s statement wasn’t any more inspiring.
“Today, players and NHLPA staff, along with representatives of the league, concluded a second day of mediation under the auspices of the FMCS,” Fehr said, according to the NHL’s Dan Rosen. “This afternoon, the mediators informed the parties that they did not think it was productive to continue the discussions further today.
“The mediators indicated that they would stay in contact with the league and the NHLPA, and would call the parties back together when they thought the time was right.”
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has suggested that the players and owners meet directly without the union and league leaders present. The NHLPA is considering Bettman’s suggestion.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)