Nov 29, 2012, 7:27 PM EST
The NHL spoke with federal mediators for two days and the results weren’t encouraging.
“Today, we concluded two days of mediation with FMCS mediators and representatives of the NHL Players’ Association,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement.
“After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time.
“We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful.”
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr’s statement wasn’t any more inspiring.
“Today, players and NHLPA staff, along with representatives of the league, concluded a second day of mediation under the auspices of the FMCS,” Fehr said, according to the NHL’s Dan Rosen. “This afternoon, the mediators informed the parties that they did not think it was productive to continue the discussions further today.
“The mediators indicated that they would stay in contact with the league and the NHLPA, and would call the parties back together when they thought the time was right.”
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has suggested that the players and owners meet directly without the union and league leaders present. The NHLPA is considering Bettman’s suggestion.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)