Nov 29, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Add Coyotes goalie Mike Smith to the list of players that have come out and said the NHLPA will stand strong on contract rights.
“The contractual stuff is something that as players we’re not going to mess around with,” Smith told ESPN on Wednesday. “That’s our livelihood. That’s a big part about being a professional athlete. You have those rights. When you take all that away, it kind of makes us more like puppets than anything.”
The league wants to place a five-year cap on contract lengths and for players to become eligible for unrestricted free agency a year later (age 28 or eight years of NHL service) than permitted under the last CBA.
The NHL is also demanding a limit on the amount an annual salary can vary from year to year on a single contract. (The players have proposed their own way to punish teams that front-load deals in order to subvert the spirit of the salary cap.)
Of course, the battle for contract rights is about more than the actual rights. For the players, it’s also about retaining what they bargained for in the last CBA. It’s about showing they won’t be bullied. It’s about getting something.
For the NHL, the question is whether it’s worth losing a season over.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)