Oct 21, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
Alex Ovechkin has been particularly critical of the NHL throughout the lockout and that certainly hasn’t changed in light of this week’s events. The NHL recently presented the union with a new offer, and then promptly rejected the NHLPA’s counter proposals.
Since then, both sides have spent plenty of time speaking to the media, but it doesn’t look like they’ve done any meaningful negotiating.
“The NHL gave fans and media hope. But in reality it is a deception,” said Ovechkin, according to TSN. “The league is trying to show that it is working to try and save the season, but they are not offering anything new. It’s all the same.
“Owners and players are at war. Bettman is under heavy pressure and trying to protect himself from criticism. Yes he made an offer and said it was good. But good for who, for Bettman?”
Ovechkin took this opportunity to reiterate his previous claim that he might decide to stay in the KHL depending on what the next CBA looks like.
“I said it before, before I sign a contract, if the league decides to cut our salaries and cut our contracts for what they want, I don’t know how many guys will be coming back,” Ovechkin said.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)