Oct 21, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been particularly critical of the NHL throughout the lockout and that certainly hasn’t changed in light of this week’s events. The NHL recently presented the union with a new offer, and then promptly rejected the NHLPA’s counter proposals.
Since then, both sides have spent plenty of time speaking to the media, but it doesn’t look like they’ve done any meaningful negotiating.
“The NHL gave fans and media hope. But in reality it is a deception,” said Ovechkin, according to TSN. “The league is trying to show that it is working to try and save the season, but they are not offering anything new. It’s all the same.
“Owners and players are at war. Bettman is under heavy pressure and trying to protect himself from criticism. Yes he made an offer and said it was good. But good for who, for Bettman?”
Ovechkin took this opportunity to reiterate his previous claim that he might decide to stay in the KHL depending on what the next CBA looks like.
“I said it before, before I sign a contract, if the league decides to cut our salaries and cut our contracts for what they want, I don’t know how many guys will be coming back,” Ovechkin said.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)