Oct 21, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has been particularly critical of the NHL throughout the lockout and that certainly hasn’t changed in light of this week’s events. The NHL recently presented the union with a new offer, and then promptly rejected the NHLPA’s counter proposals.
Since then, both sides have spent plenty of time speaking to the media, but it doesn’t look like they’ve done any meaningful negotiating.
“The NHL gave fans and media hope. But in reality it is a deception,” said Ovechkin, according to TSN. “The league is trying to show that it is working to try and save the season, but they are not offering anything new. It’s all the same.
“Owners and players are at war. Bettman is under heavy pressure and trying to protect himself from criticism. Yes he made an offer and said it was good. But good for who, for Bettman?”
Ovechkin took this opportunity to reiterate his previous claim that he might decide to stay in the KHL depending on what the next CBA looks like.
“I said it before, before I sign a contract, if the league decides to cut our salaries and cut our contracts for what they want, I don’t know how many guys will be coming back,” Ovechkin said.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)