Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
In a bold and unprecedented move, the NHL has released the details of its collective bargaining proposal made to the NHLPA.
The league’s reason for doing so, in full:
Following is the full text of the NHL’s offer for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in order to preserve a full, 82-game season that the National Hockey League presented Tuesday to the NHL Players’ Association (along with the accompanying commentary and descriptions also provided to the NHLPA).
While the original intention was not to release the details of the offer publicly, not surprisingly there have been widespread reports attempting to describe and characterize the terms of the offer that understandably are incomplete.
As a result, we believe that full public disclosure at this stage is both necessary and appropriate.
The details of such a complex proposal are lengthy — click here to read the document in full — but it did go a long way in clarifying a number of the issues that came out in the aftermath of yesterday’s NHL-NHLPA meeting.
That said, many have expressed concern that the NHL pulling such a move — which could be construed as PR spin — might hurt some of the positive momentum made on Tuesday in terms of negotiating and “good faith” among the two sides.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)