Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
In a bold and unprecedented move, the NHL has released the details of its collective bargaining proposal made to the NHLPA.
The league’s reason for doing so, in full:
Following is the full text of the NHL’s offer for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in order to preserve a full, 82-game season that the National Hockey League presented Tuesday to the NHL Players’ Association (along with the accompanying commentary and descriptions also provided to the NHLPA).
While the original intention was not to release the details of the offer publicly, not surprisingly there have been widespread reports attempting to describe and characterize the terms of the offer that understandably are incomplete.
As a result, we believe that full public disclosure at this stage is both necessary and appropriate.
The details of such a complex proposal are lengthy — click here to read the document in full — but it did go a long way in clarifying a number of the issues that came out in the aftermath of yesterday’s NHL-NHLPA meeting.
That said, many have expressed concern that the NHL pulling such a move — which could be construed as PR spin — might hurt some of the positive momentum made on Tuesday in terms of negotiating and “good faith” among the two sides.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)