Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
In a bold and unprecedented move, the NHL has released the details of its collective bargaining proposal made to the NHLPA.
The league’s reason for doing so, in full:
Following is the full text of the NHL’s offer for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in order to preserve a full, 82-game season that the National Hockey League presented Tuesday to the NHL Players’ Association (along with the accompanying commentary and descriptions also provided to the NHLPA).
While the original intention was not to release the details of the offer publicly, not surprisingly there have been widespread reports attempting to describe and characterize the terms of the offer that understandably are incomplete.
As a result, we believe that full public disclosure at this stage is both necessary and appropriate.
The details of such a complex proposal are lengthy — click here to read the document in full — but it did go a long way in clarifying a number of the issues that came out in the aftermath of yesterday’s NHL-NHLPA meeting.
That said, many have expressed concern that the NHL pulling such a move — which could be construed as PR spin — might hurt some of the positive momentum made on Tuesday in terms of negotiating and “good faith” among the two sides.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness