Sep 19, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is threatening to stay in the KHL past this season, even if a new CBA between the NHL and NHLPA is negotiated before then.
“I won’t rule out staying in Russia past this season”
Whether he could carry out such a threat is another thing.
The NHL and KHL have an agreement to honor each other’s contracts, and once a new NHL CBA is signed and the lockout ends, Ovechkin would be under contract to the Capitals.
Perhaps the KHL could argue Ovechkin’s NHL contract was violated if the new CBA results in rollbacks or other lost salary. However, not only would that be a tough case to make, it would be fraught with potential consequences, such as the NHL barring its players from the 2014 Sochi Olympics in Russia.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5