Oct 16, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
A variety of reporters* recently provided more details about the owners’ new CBA offer.
Here they are in this collection of tidbits:
- The latest offer would cover six years with an option for a seventh, according to Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- The league isn’t just looking to kill “lifetime” deals with a five-year limit. TSN also reports that each year’s variance would be limited to five percent, thus closing up the loophole where teams tack on seasons at drastically lower salaries at the end of a contract to drive cap hits down.
(TSN’s example: a $10 million cap hit could only vary $500K per season. Another example would be a $5 million-per-year deal only varying by $250K per year.)
- Various outlets including ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun report that rookie (aka entry-level) contracts will be limited to two-years.
Owners might seek this measure to reduce the impact of second contracts. TSN sums up the three measures in the new proposal that aim to do so:
1. Entry level would go from 3 to 2 yrs. 2. Salary arb eligibility would go from 4th to 5th yr. 3. UFA goes 7/27 (service/age) to 8/28.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 17, 2012
On the other hand, high-end rookies would potentially get paid closer to their true market value one year sooner – even if they’d receive one fewer season to bolster their numbers.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)