Oct 16, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
A variety of reporters* recently provided more details about the owners’ new CBA offer.
Here they are in this collection of tidbits:
- The latest offer would cover six years with an option for a seventh, according to Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- The league isn’t just looking to kill “lifetime” deals with a five-year limit. TSN also reports that each year’s variance would be limited to five percent, thus closing up the loophole where teams tack on seasons at drastically lower salaries at the end of a contract to drive cap hits down.
(TSN’s example: a $10 million cap hit could only vary $500K per season. Another example would be a $5 million-per-year deal only varying by $250K per year.)
- Various outlets including ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun report that rookie (aka entry-level) contracts will be limited to two-years.
Owners might seek this measure to reduce the impact of second contracts. TSN sums up the three measures in the new proposal that aim to do so:
1. Entry level would go from 3 to 2 yrs. 2. Salary arb eligibility would go from 4th to 5th yr. 3. UFA goes 7/27 (service/age) to 8/28.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 17, 2012
On the other hand, high-end rookies would potentially get paid closer to their true market value one year sooner – even if they’d receive one fewer season to bolster their numbers.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 7
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 68
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 57
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (96)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (79)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save