Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
Gary Bettman rolled out comments that indicated a Nov. 2 start date could preserve an 82-game season, but that might leave you wondering about other timelines.
Here are the dates in chronological order:
Oct. 25 – Is the deadline to get a deal done. That gives the two sides nine days to hash out the core economic values (and the smaller bits).
Oct. 26 – The day training camps would need to start so that the Nov. 2 opening night could work.
Nov. 2 – Potentially the new opening night. McKenzie and others report that the schedule would kick off from that point instead of reverting to canceled dates.
April 13 – The season wouldn’t end on this date. Instead, the league would add games from this point to reach the 82 games played mark.
Final week of June – The Stanley Cup finals could go as late as that week if the season kicks off on Nov. 2.
Anyway, that’s a road map of what could happen if the two sides get a deal done by that Oct. 25 deadline.
As far as that goes, McKenzie was ambivalent:
My take: Too early to say how NHLPA will react to NHL offer but I suspect we're in for 7 to 10 days of really intense bargaining sessions.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 16, 2012
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)