Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
Gary Bettman rolled out comments that indicated a Nov. 2 start date could preserve an 82-game season, but that might leave you wondering about other timelines.
Here are the dates in chronological order:
Oct. 25 – Is the deadline to get a deal done. That gives the two sides nine days to hash out the core economic values (and the smaller bits).
Oct. 26 – The day training camps would need to start so that the Nov. 2 opening night could work.
Nov. 2 – Potentially the new opening night. McKenzie and others report that the schedule would kick off from that point instead of reverting to canceled dates.
April 13 – The season wouldn’t end on this date. Instead, the league would add games from this point to reach the 82 games played mark.
Final week of June – The Stanley Cup finals could go as late as that week if the season kicks off on Nov. 2.
Anyway, that’s a road map of what could happen if the two sides get a deal done by that Oct. 25 deadline.
As far as that goes, McKenzie was ambivalent:
My take: Too early to say how NHLPA will react to NHL offer but I suspect we're in for 7 to 10 days of really intense bargaining sessions.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 16, 2012
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)