Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
Gary Bettman rolled out comments that indicated a Nov. 2 start date could preserve an 82-game season, but that might leave you wondering about other timelines.
Here are the dates in chronological order:
Oct. 25 – Is the deadline to get a deal done. That gives the two sides nine days to hash out the core economic values (and the smaller bits).
Oct. 26 – The day training camps would need to start so that the Nov. 2 opening night could work.
Nov. 2 – Potentially the new opening night. McKenzie and others report that the schedule would kick off from that point instead of reverting to canceled dates.
April 13 – The season wouldn’t end on this date. Instead, the league would add games from this point to reach the 82 games played mark.
Final week of June – The Stanley Cup finals could go as late as that week if the season kicks off on Nov. 2.
Anyway, that’s a road map of what could happen if the two sides get a deal done by that Oct. 25 deadline.
As far as that goes, McKenzie was ambivalent:
My take: Too early to say how NHLPA will react to NHL offer but I suspect we're in for 7 to 10 days of really intense bargaining sessions.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 16, 2012
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)