Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
Gary Bettman rolled out comments that indicated a Nov. 2 start date could preserve an 82-game season, but that might leave you wondering about other timelines.
Here are the dates in chronological order:
Oct. 25 – Is the deadline to get a deal done. That gives the two sides nine days to hash out the core economic values (and the smaller bits).
Oct. 26 – The day training camps would need to start so that the Nov. 2 opening night could work.
Nov. 2 – Potentially the new opening night. McKenzie and others report that the schedule would kick off from that point instead of reverting to canceled dates.
April 13 – The season wouldn’t end on this date. Instead, the league would add games from this point to reach the 82 games played mark.
Final week of June – The Stanley Cup finals could go as late as that week if the season kicks off on Nov. 2.
Anyway, that’s a road map of what could happen if the two sides get a deal done by that Oct. 25 deadline.
As far as that goes, McKenzie was ambivalent:
My take: Too early to say how NHLPA will react to NHL offer but I suspect we're in for 7 to 10 days of really intense bargaining sessions.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 16, 2012
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)