Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The initial reaction to the deal — at least among those following the situation — was “uh, wha?”
Sarich was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions last year and things reaching a boiling point in December, when he reportedly demanded a trade out of Calgary.
Sarich quickly refuted those claims and returned to being a lineup regular, though his reemergence coincided with fellow defenseman Mark Giordano going down for the year with ruptured tendons in his leg. One wonders what would’ve happened if Giordano didn’t get hurt.
Regardless, the 33-year-old Sarich is now officially back with the Flames. If you’re curious, his $2 million cap hit means Calgary is now spending quite a bit for its blueline — Sarich, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Wideman, Mark Giordano, Anton Babchuk and Chris Butler will collectively earn $21.7 million next season.
Related: Welcome to the rumor mill, JayBo
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)