Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The initial reaction to the deal — at least among those following the situation — was “uh, wha?”
Sarich was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions last year and things reaching a boiling point in December, when he reportedly demanded a trade out of Calgary.
Sarich quickly refuted those claims and returned to being a lineup regular, though his reemergence coincided with fellow defenseman Mark Giordano going down for the year with ruptured tendons in his leg. One wonders what would’ve happened if Giordano didn’t get hurt.
Regardless, the 33-year-old Sarich is now officially back with the Flames. If you’re curious, his $2 million cap hit means Calgary is now spending quite a bit for its blueline — Sarich, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Wideman, Mark Giordano, Anton Babchuk and Chris Butler will collectively earn $21.7 million next season.
Related: Welcome to the rumor mill, JayBo
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)