Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The initial reaction to the deal — at least among those following the situation — was “uh, wha?”
Sarich was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions last year and things reaching a boiling point in December, when he reportedly demanded a trade out of Calgary.
Sarich quickly refuted those claims and returned to being a lineup regular, though his reemergence coincided with fellow defenseman Mark Giordano going down for the year with ruptured tendons in his leg. One wonders what would’ve happened if Giordano didn’t get hurt.
Regardless, the 33-year-old Sarich is now officially back with the Flames. If you’re curious, his $2 million cap hit means Calgary is now spending quite a bit for its blueline — Sarich, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Wideman, Mark Giordano, Anton Babchuk and Chris Butler will collectively earn $21.7 million next season.
Related: Welcome to the rumor mill, JayBo
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 7
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31