Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The initial reaction to the deal — at least among those following the situation — was “uh, wha?”
Sarich was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions last year and things reaching a boiling point in December, when he reportedly demanded a trade out of Calgary.
Sarich quickly refuted those claims and returned to being a lineup regular, though his reemergence coincided with fellow defenseman Mark Giordano going down for the year with ruptured tendons in his leg. One wonders what would’ve happened if Giordano didn’t get hurt.
Regardless, the 33-year-old Sarich is now officially back with the Flames. If you’re curious, his $2 million cap hit means Calgary is now spending quite a bit for its blueline — Sarich, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Wideman, Mark Giordano, Anton Babchuk and Chris Butler will collectively earn $21.7 million next season.
Related: Welcome to the rumor mill, JayBo
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 0
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 13
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 18
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 15
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 50
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35