Jun 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Jay Bouwmeester trade speculation to heat up after the Calgary Flames acquired and signed defenseman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract.
“Bouwmeester’s departure seems inevitable” is the headline the Calgary Herald ran with.
The paper then went on to quote GM Jay Feaster, who suggested one or more of his blue-liners could be Plan B for teams that don’t get their man in free agency.
“When all the dust settles after the first week of free agency, if there are teams still looking on their blueline, we’re going to get a lot of phone calls,” said Feaster. “I do believe that’s one of the things that will happen is that the trade market will open up.’’
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Moreover, Bouwmeester hasn’t missed a game since 2004, making it seven straight seasons of 82 games. And while that may something about his – we’ll call it easygoing – playing style, there’s something to be said for durability.
Besides, there’s only two years left on the guy’s contract. Assuming he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause, a handful of teams should be interested if he’s available.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)