Jun 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
It didn’t take long for the Jay Bouwmeester trade speculation to heat up after the Calgary Flames acquired and signed defenseman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract.
“Bouwmeester’s departure seems inevitable” is the headline the Calgary Herald ran with.
The paper then went on to quote GM Jay Feaster, who suggested one or more of his blue-liners could be Plan B for teams that don’t get their man in free agency.
“When all the dust settles after the first week of free agency, if there are teams still looking on their blueline, we’re going to get a lot of phone calls,” said Feaster. “I do believe that’s one of the things that will happen is that the trade market will open up.’’
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Moreover, Bouwmeester hasn’t missed a game since 2004, making it seven straight seasons of 82 games. And while that may something about his – we’ll call it easygoing – playing style, there’s something to be said for durability.
Besides, there’s only two years left on the guy’s contract. Assuming he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause, a handful of teams should be interested if he’s available.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)