Dec 2, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
Players demanding to be traded just ain’t what it used to be.
While it’s noble that Sarich wants an opportunity to play games again and free Calgary from his $3.6 million cap hit, it’s going to be awfully hard to find a team that has that kind of salary space for a fifth or sixth defenseman.
While Sarich is a physical blueliner that’s happy to drop the gloves, his skills have fallen to where the struggling Flames aren’t playing him. With Sarich due to be a free agent after this season, he makes out to be a very expensive (and not overly useful) rental player. Good luck to GM Jay Feaster for trying to help grant Sarich’s wish.
Chances are if Sarich is going to be “traded” at all, it’ll be to the Flames AHL affiliate in Abbotsford.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)