Dec 2, 2011, 11:11 AM EST
Players demanding to be traded just ain’t what it used to be.
While it’s noble that Sarich wants an opportunity to play games again and free Calgary from his $3.6 million cap hit, it’s going to be awfully hard to find a team that has that kind of salary space for a fifth or sixth defenseman.
While Sarich is a physical blueliner that’s happy to drop the gloves, his skills have fallen to where the struggling Flames aren’t playing him. With Sarich due to be a free agent after this season, he makes out to be a very expensive (and not overly useful) rental player. Good luck to GM Jay Feaster for trying to help grant Sarich’s wish.
Chances are if Sarich is going to be “traded” at all, it’ll be to the Flames AHL affiliate in Abbotsford.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)