Dec 4, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
“I definitely did not demand to be traded,” Sarich told the Calgary Herald. “As long as I’m in Calgary, I want to be here. I want to contribute.
“I know there’s a lot of young guys around here who are getting a chance, and that is part of the hockey business. I’m just trying to stay ready now for whenever I get a chance to play. So that’s my main focus right now.”
The young guys Sarich is referring to are probably rookie defensemen T.J. Brodie, Derek Smith and Joe Piskula, all three of whom played ahead of Sarich in Calgary’s 5-3 win over the Oilers last night. It marked the fifth time Sarich has been a healthy scratch in the last six games.
Sarich did say he recently had a meeting with GM Jay Feaster to discuss a variety of topics, including his belief that he can help the Flames (on the ice, that is.)
“I’m a competitor,” he said. “I want to be out there…But I definitely wasn’t going in there throwing my weight around or saying that I’m completely pissed to be here.
“That wasn’t it.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)