Dec 4, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
“I definitely did not demand to be traded,” Sarich told the Calgary Herald. “As long as I’m in Calgary, I want to be here. I want to contribute.
“I know there’s a lot of young guys around here who are getting a chance, and that is part of the hockey business. I’m just trying to stay ready now for whenever I get a chance to play. So that’s my main focus right now.”
The young guys Sarich is referring to are probably rookie defensemen T.J. Brodie, Derek Smith and Joe Piskula, all three of whom played ahead of Sarich in Calgary’s 5-3 win over the Oilers last night. It marked the fifth time Sarich has been a healthy scratch in the last six games.
Sarich did say he recently had a meeting with GM Jay Feaster to discuss a variety of topics, including his belief that he can help the Flames (on the ice, that is.)
“I’m a competitor,” he said. “I want to be out there…But I definitely wasn’t going in there throwing my weight around or saying that I’m completely pissed to be here.
“That wasn’t it.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)