Jun 22, 2012, 9:14 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres are hoping the many teams that passed on Mikhail Grigorenko made a giant mistake. The big, talented Russian went 12th overall in Friday’s NHL Entry Draft to a team that had promised to address the center position this summer.
Ranked No. 3 among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, Grigorenko saw his star fall after an underwhelming playoff performance with the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL.
“Eleven teams didn’t draft me so too bad for them,” Grigorenko said. “I’m No. 1 pick for Buffalo Sabres.”
For his draft profile, click here.
Grigorenko joins a Sabres squad that acquired another highly touted, young center in Cody Hodgson at the trade deadline.
There’s no guarantee Grigorenko will be playing in the NHL next year, but expect the Derek Roy trade speculation to heat up nonetheless. The diminutive center has one year left on his contract ($4 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent, and you have to assume his future past that point won’t be in Buffalo.
Related: Patrick Roy sticks up for Grigorenko
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 14
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)