Jun 20, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Mikhail Grigorenko (C)
Height: 6’3 Weight: 200 Shoots: Left
Team: Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Depends who you ask. Nobody will deny he’s got the talent; it’s his desire many have questioned. (Also, his age.) Grigorenko piled up 85 points in 59 games with the Remparts in 2011-12. His lackluster performance in the playoffs, however, drew criticism. Then again, he was battling mono. All those variables make it hard to predict where Grigorenko will go in the draft. It could be third. It could be much later.
“Talent-wise, he might be above Yakupov. He has a chance to be a franchise center. But the problem is he plays when he wants to.” — Mark Seidel, chief scout of North American Central Scouting
More draft profiles:
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 1
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 7
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6