Jun 20, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Mikhail Grigorenko (C)
Height: 6’3 Weight: 200 Shoots: Left
Team: Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Depends who you ask. Nobody will deny he’s got the talent; it’s his desire many have questioned. (Also, his age.) Grigorenko piled up 85 points in 59 games with the Remparts in 2011-12. His lackluster performance in the playoffs, however, drew criticism. Then again, he was battling mono. All those variables make it hard to predict where Grigorenko will go in the draft. It could be third. It could be much later.
“Talent-wise, he might be above Yakupov. He has a chance to be a franchise center. But the problem is he plays when he wants to.” — Mark Seidel, chief scout of North American Central Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17