May 21, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
One way or another, Sabres GM Darcy Regier wants to address the center position on his team.
“The right center ice is a priority,” Regier told reporters today after announcing the re-signing of defenseman Alexander Sulzer. “The real unknown here is what the trade market will hold. Nothing has started. It doesn’t get started until after the playoffs. Teams begin to talk, and then it really builds as you go into the draft.
“It’s tough to know what will be available, but if we can find the right centerman it would help.”
“We expect [Roy] back at this point, and we expect him to have a good season at this point,” said Regier, as per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Key phrase: “at this point.” (So key Regier used it twice.)
Roy is tradable – he’s only signed for one more season ($4 million cap hit) before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Buffalo also has two first-round picks (and two seconds) that could be used to help land the “right centerman.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)