May 21, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
One way or another, Sabres GM Darcy Regier wants to address the center position on his team.
“The right center ice is a priority,” Regier told reporters today after announcing the re-signing of defenseman Alexander Sulzer. “The real unknown here is what the trade market will hold. Nothing has started. It doesn’t get started until after the playoffs. Teams begin to talk, and then it really builds as you go into the draft.
“It’s tough to know what will be available, but if we can find the right centerman it would help.”
“We expect [Roy] back at this point, and we expect him to have a good season at this point,” said Regier, as per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Key phrase: “at this point.” (So key Regier used it twice.)
Roy is tradable – he’s only signed for one more season ($4 million cap hit) before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Buffalo also has two first-round picks (and two seconds) that could be used to help land the “right centerman.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)