May 21, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
One way or another, Sabres GM Darcy Regier wants to address the center position on his team.
“The right center ice is a priority,” Regier told reporters today after announcing the re-signing of defenseman Alexander Sulzer. “The real unknown here is what the trade market will hold. Nothing has started. It doesn’t get started until after the playoffs. Teams begin to talk, and then it really builds as you go into the draft.
“It’s tough to know what will be available, but if we can find the right centerman it would help.”
“We expect [Roy] back at this point, and we expect him to have a good season at this point,” said Regier, as per John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Key phrase: “at this point.” (So key Regier used it twice.)
Roy is tradable – he’s only signed for one more season ($4 million cap hit) before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Buffalo also has two first-round picks (and two seconds) that could be used to help land the “right centerman.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 6
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)