Jun 22, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
If there’s a wild card in Friday’s draft in Pittsburgh, it’s Mikhail Grigorenko. The Russian forward out of the QMJHL is ranked No. 3 among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting – however, it’s possible he could fall out of the top 10 after an underwhelming playoff performance that left many questioning his work ethic.
But Grigorenko’s junior coach with the Quebec Remparts, Patrick Roy, thinks all the talk is unfair.
“I’ll be honest, I’m very disappointed to hear those comments. From the very first day he decided to come to Quebec he made a huge commitment to learn English. He’s studied for three hours a day, his English is very, very good,” said Roy, as per Sportsnet.ca. “He’s made a huge commitment to be an NHL player.
“When people question his work ethic, it’s not true, he works hard all the time. The thing that we need to work on with him is to get his stamina to another level, he gets tired fast, but that doesn’t mean a player doesn’t work hard.”
To which scouts would probably ask, then what does it mean? That he’s not training the right way? That the mono he battled this season took it out of him? Because if he’s naturally prone to fatigue, how’s he going to handle the grind of an NHL season?
Roy also addressed this morning’s meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman that had everyone in Pittsburgh talking.
According to Roy, it had nothing to do with the Phoenix Coyotes moving to Quebec City.
“It was just a friendly conversation,” he said.
“If Phoenix had come up, don’t worry, it would not be in the dining room.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)