Jun 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The most indelible moment from New Jersey’s Stanley Cup run might not be a goal, a save or even a win.
It might be a show of support.
The Devils met with the media on Wednesday and, to a man, defended forward Steve Bernier for his costly five-minute boarding major that led to three L.A. goals.
Lou Lamoriello: “I’m just so proud of the way [Bernier] handled it after the game and what he said.”
Ilya Kovalchuk: “That fourth line that included Bernie was great and a reason why we were in the Cup Final.”
Peter DeBoer: “Steve was trying to do what we asked him to do and what he was very effective at doing the entire playoffs. I have no negative feelings toward that play.”
This wasn’t the first time the Devs backed Bernier — he said his mates approached him after Game 6 and said the loss wasn’t his fault — but this public re-iteration of support clearly meant a lot to him.
“Everybody in this room has been so nice,” Bernier said. “I didn’t try to do a non-hockey hit or something you don’t usually do on the ice. I played the same way for the season, hitting every chance I got.
“It’s hard to take, but the last thing I need to do is stop hitting next year. I’ve got to play the same way if I want to make the team.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)