Jun 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The most indelible moment from New Jersey’s Stanley Cup run might not be a goal, a save or even a win.
It might be a show of support.
The Devils met with the media on Wednesday and, to a man, defended forward Steve Bernier for his costly five-minute boarding major that led to three L.A. goals.
Lou Lamoriello: “I’m just so proud of the way [Bernier] handled it after the game and what he said.”
Ilya Kovalchuk: “That fourth line that included Bernie was great and a reason why we were in the Cup Final.”
Peter DeBoer: “Steve was trying to do what we asked him to do and what he was very effective at doing the entire playoffs. I have no negative feelings toward that play.”
This wasn’t the first time the Devs backed Bernier — he said his mates approached him after Game 6 and said the loss wasn’t his fault — but this public re-iteration of support clearly meant a lot to him.
“Everybody in this room has been so nice,” Bernier said. “I didn’t try to do a non-hockey hit or something you don’t usually do on the ice. I played the same way for the season, hitting every chance I got.
“It’s hard to take, but the last thing I need to do is stop hitting next year. I’ve got to play the same way if I want to make the team.”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)