Jun 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The most indelible moment from New Jersey’s Stanley Cup run might not be a goal, a save or even a win.
It might be a show of support.
The Devils met with the media on Wednesday and, to a man, defended forward Steve Bernier for his costly five-minute boarding major that led to three L.A. goals.
Lou Lamoriello: “I’m just so proud of the way [Bernier] handled it after the game and what he said.”
Ilya Kovalchuk: “That fourth line that included Bernie was great and a reason why we were in the Cup Final.”
Peter DeBoer: “Steve was trying to do what we asked him to do and what he was very effective at doing the entire playoffs. I have no negative feelings toward that play.”
This wasn’t the first time the Devs backed Bernier — he said his mates approached him after Game 6 and said the loss wasn’t his fault — but this public re-iteration of support clearly meant a lot to him.
“Everybody in this room has been so nice,” Bernier said. “I didn’t try to do a non-hockey hit or something you don’t usually do on the ice. I played the same way for the season, hitting every chance I got.
“It’s hard to take, but the last thing I need to do is stop hitting next year. I’ve got to play the same way if I want to make the team.”
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks