Jun 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
The most indelible moment from New Jersey’s Stanley Cup run might not be a goal, a save or even a win.
It might be a show of support.
The Devils met with the media on Wednesday and, to a man, defended forward Steve Bernier for his costly five-minute boarding major that led to three L.A. goals.
Lou Lamoriello: “I’m just so proud of the way [Bernier] handled it after the game and what he said.”
Ilya Kovalchuk: “That fourth line that included Bernie was great and a reason why we were in the Cup Final.”
Peter DeBoer: “Steve was trying to do what we asked him to do and what he was very effective at doing the entire playoffs. I have no negative feelings toward that play.”
This wasn’t the first time the Devs backed Bernier — he said his mates approached him after Game 6 and said the loss wasn’t his fault — but this public re-iteration of support clearly meant a lot to him.
“Everybody in this room has been so nice,” Bernier said. “I didn’t try to do a non-hockey hit or something you don’t usually do on the ice. I played the same way for the season, hitting every chance I got.
“It’s hard to take, but the last thing I need to do is stop hitting next year. I’ve got to play the same way if I want to make the team.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)