Jun 11, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
If you didn’t see the play, you can watch it here:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Scuderi was able to return to the game for the second period, but Bernier was booted from the contest and assessed a five-minute major. The Kings took full advantage of the long man advantage by scoring three power-play goals en route to a 6-1 victory.
A distraught Bernier faced the media after the game to explain what happened.
“I thought he would keep with the puck on his forehand,” Bernier explained after the game. “It’s a fast game and it ended up being a bad play. I didn’t watch the replay of the penalty. I wish I could take that play back, but I can’t. This is extremely hard. It’s been a long playoff run and to finish on that note, it’s not fun. Nothing we can do now.”
Bernier obviously deserves some of the blame for the Devils’ loss. It was a risky move at a time of the game when New Jersey needed to stay out of the sin bin. At the same time, his teammates didn’t do a particularly good job in their efforts to bail him out.
It should also be noted that Bernier didn’t think his hit was worth a major.
The Devils had a great season, and their comeback after falling behind 3-0 in the series was impressive, but when you leave yourself no margin for error, a bad situation can easily turn into a crippling one.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 8
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 37
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)