Jun 11, 2012, 11:37 PM EST
If you didn’t see the play, you can watch it here:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Scuderi was able to return to the game for the second period, but Bernier was booted from the contest and assessed a five-minute major. The Kings took full advantage of the long man advantage by scoring three power-play goals en route to a 6-1 victory.
A distraught Bernier faced the media after the game to explain what happened.
“I thought he would keep with the puck on his forehand,” Bernier explained after the game. “It’s a fast game and it ended up being a bad play. I didn’t watch the replay of the penalty. I wish I could take that play back, but I can’t. This is extremely hard. It’s been a long playoff run and to finish on that note, it’s not fun. Nothing we can do now.”
Bernier obviously deserves some of the blame for the Devils’ loss. It was a risky move at a time of the game when New Jersey needed to stay out of the sin bin. At the same time, his teammates didn’t do a particularly good job in their efforts to bail him out.
It should also be noted that Bernier didn’t think his hit was worth a major.
The Devils had a great season, and their comeback after falling behind 3-0 in the series was impressive, but when you leave yourself no margin for error, a bad situation can easily turn into a crippling one.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)