Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will blame the New Jersey Devils’ Game 6 loss on Steve Bernier‘s boarding major. Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t provide his opinion on the call itself, but he supported Bernier by telling the press that the 6-1 defeat wasn’t his fault.
Q. Do you feel bad for Steve Bernier?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah. You know, it’s a bad spot for him to be in. Everybody knows Bernie’s heart’s in the right place. He’s not at fault.
Overall, it seemed like DeBoer has an eye on the big picture (and might also wisely consider the potential impact that ref-bashing can have on his wallet).
“You know what, tonight is about L.A. and letting them celebrate,” he said. “If you want to ask me about that in about a week, I’ll give you my honest opinion on it.”
Perhaps it makes sense that DeBoer has a positive perspective, though. As George Richards points out, the former Florida Panthers coach was “unemployed” a year ago.
Things could be worse.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)