Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will blame the New Jersey Devils’ Game 6 loss on Steve Bernier‘s boarding major. Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t provide his opinion on the call itself, but he supported Bernier by telling the press that the 6-1 defeat wasn’t his fault.
Q. Do you feel bad for Steve Bernier?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah. You know, it’s a bad spot for him to be in. Everybody knows Bernie’s heart’s in the right place. He’s not at fault.
Overall, it seemed like DeBoer has an eye on the big picture (and might also wisely consider the potential impact that ref-bashing can have on his wallet).
“You know what, tonight is about L.A. and letting them celebrate,” he said. “If you want to ask me about that in about a week, I’ll give you my honest opinion on it.”
Perhaps it makes sense that DeBoer has a positive perspective, though. As George Richards points out, the former Florida Panthers coach was “unemployed” a year ago.
Things could be worse.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6