Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will blame the New Jersey Devils’ Game 6 loss on Steve Bernier‘s boarding major. Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t provide his opinion on the call itself, but he supported Bernier by telling the press that the 6-1 defeat wasn’t his fault.
Q. Do you feel bad for Steve Bernier?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah. You know, it’s a bad spot for him to be in. Everybody knows Bernie’s heart’s in the right place. He’s not at fault.
Overall, it seemed like DeBoer has an eye on the big picture (and might also wisely consider the potential impact that ref-bashing can have on his wallet).
“You know what, tonight is about L.A. and letting them celebrate,” he said. “If you want to ask me about that in about a week, I’ll give you my honest opinion on it.”
Perhaps it makes sense that DeBoer has a positive perspective, though. As George Richards points out, the former Florida Panthers coach was “unemployed” a year ago.
Things could be worse.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5