Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will blame the New Jersey Devils’ Game 6 loss on Steve Bernier‘s boarding major. Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t provide his opinion on the call itself, but he supported Bernier by telling the press that the 6-1 defeat wasn’t his fault.
Q. Do you feel bad for Steve Bernier?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah. You know, it’s a bad spot for him to be in. Everybody knows Bernie’s heart’s in the right place. He’s not at fault.
Overall, it seemed like DeBoer has an eye on the big picture (and might also wisely consider the potential impact that ref-bashing can have on his wallet).
“You know what, tonight is about L.A. and letting them celebrate,” he said. “If you want to ask me about that in about a week, I’ll give you my honest opinion on it.”
Perhaps it makes sense that DeBoer has a positive perspective, though. As George Richards points out, the former Florida Panthers coach was “unemployed” a year ago.
Things could be worse.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)