Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will blame the New Jersey Devils’ Game 6 loss on Steve Bernier‘s boarding major. Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t provide his opinion on the call itself, but he supported Bernier by telling the press that the 6-1 defeat wasn’t his fault.
Q. Do you feel bad for Steve Bernier?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah. You know, it’s a bad spot for him to be in. Everybody knows Bernie’s heart’s in the right place. He’s not at fault.
Overall, it seemed like DeBoer has an eye on the big picture (and might also wisely consider the potential impact that ref-bashing can have on his wallet).
“You know what, tonight is about L.A. and letting them celebrate,” he said. “If you want to ask me about that in about a week, I’ll give you my honest opinion on it.”
Perhaps it makes sense that DeBoer has a positive perspective, though. As George Richards points out, the former Florida Panthers coach was “unemployed” a year ago.
Things could be worse.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 16
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)