Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Gomez isn’t what you’d call a prolific scorer nor would you say he’s even a top player anymore. Considering how bad things have been for him in Montreal, you’d imagine he’d want to get out of town. Luckily for him, he did draw trade interest from at least one team.
Sun Media tells the story about how for all of Gomez’s issues in Montreal he wasn’t willing to leave town quite so easily.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
Wait, hang on. The Islanders wanted to get Scott Gomez and Gomez told them no? C’mon Scott, they were obviously impressed by you breaking your over year-long goal drought against them.
It was almost the perfect marriage out of convenience. It was a simple deal that Pierre Gauthier would’ve been hailed as a hero for in Montreal for getting rid of Gomez’s contract while Isles fans would’ve shaken their heads over Garth Snow getting snookered into taking it on himself.
Oh, what could have been.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)