Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Gomez isn’t what you’d call a prolific scorer nor would you say he’s even a top player anymore. Considering how bad things have been for him in Montreal, you’d imagine he’d want to get out of town. Luckily for him, he did draw trade interest from at least one team.
Sun Media tells the story about how for all of Gomez’s issues in Montreal he wasn’t willing to leave town quite so easily.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
Wait, hang on. The Islanders wanted to get Scott Gomez and Gomez told them no? C’mon Scott, they were obviously impressed by you breaking your over year-long goal drought against them.
It was almost the perfect marriage out of convenience. It was a simple deal that Pierre Gauthier would’ve been hailed as a hero for in Montreal for getting rid of Gomez’s contract while Isles fans would’ve shaken their heads over Garth Snow getting snookered into taking it on himself.
Oh, what could have been.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)