Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Gomez isn’t what you’d call a prolific scorer nor would you say he’s even a top player anymore. Considering how bad things have been for him in Montreal, you’d imagine he’d want to get out of town. Luckily for him, he did draw trade interest from at least one team.
Sun Media tells the story about how for all of Gomez’s issues in Montreal he wasn’t willing to leave town quite so easily.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
Wait, hang on. The Islanders wanted to get Scott Gomez and Gomez told them no? C’mon Scott, they were obviously impressed by you breaking your over year-long goal drought against them.
It was almost the perfect marriage out of convenience. It was a simple deal that Pierre Gauthier would’ve been hailed as a hero for in Montreal for getting rid of Gomez’s contract while Isles fans would’ve shaken their heads over Garth Snow getting snookered into taking it on himself.
Oh, what could have been.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 9
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 28
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins