Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Gomez isn’t what you’d call a prolific scorer nor would you say he’s even a top player anymore. Considering how bad things have been for him in Montreal, you’d imagine he’d want to get out of town. Luckily for him, he did draw trade interest from at least one team.
Sun Media tells the story about how for all of Gomez’s issues in Montreal he wasn’t willing to leave town quite so easily.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
Wait, hang on. The Islanders wanted to get Scott Gomez and Gomez told them no? C’mon Scott, they were obviously impressed by you breaking your over year-long goal drought against them.
It was almost the perfect marriage out of convenience. It was a simple deal that Pierre Gauthier would’ve been hailed as a hero for in Montreal for getting rid of Gomez’s contract while Isles fans would’ve shaken their heads over Garth Snow getting snookered into taking it on himself.
Oh, what could have been.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5