Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Gomez isn’t what you’d call a prolific scorer nor would you say he’s even a top player anymore. Considering how bad things have been for him in Montreal, you’d imagine he’d want to get out of town. Luckily for him, he did draw trade interest from at least one team.
Sun Media tells the story about how for all of Gomez’s issues in Montreal he wasn’t willing to leave town quite so easily.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
Wait, hang on. The Islanders wanted to get Scott Gomez and Gomez told them no? C’mon Scott, they were obviously impressed by you breaking your over year-long goal drought against them.
It was almost the perfect marriage out of convenience. It was a simple deal that Pierre Gauthier would’ve been hailed as a hero for in Montreal for getting rid of Gomez’s contract while Isles fans would’ve shaken their heads over Garth Snow getting snookered into taking it on himself.
Oh, what could have been.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4